HB16 No Cabin

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HB16 No Cabin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, it would be sturdier with the outboard mounted directly on the transom or mounted on an aftermarket bracket like Armstrong.
The plans show a simple bracket adequate for a small outboard but you can install a larger, stronger bracket.
I would try it with your existing motor first: those flat bottom hulls will slam very hard in anything else than flat water.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

From Armstrong, I have never seen anything but big brackets for 200-300HP outboards. Do they/can they make something sized for a smaller outboard? Their website doesn't show anything like that. Any other brands I can search?

I really want the open area in the back. Tired of tripping and snagging on control cables.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

After looking at the bracket in the plans, I see Jacques' concerns. Maybe an 80 lb 2 stroke 9.9 is just fine on that bracket but I'm not hanging my 168 lb V-twin, torque monster Suzuki on it.

Stainless Marine has a mini bracket available. Looks like it is designed for a larger motor that mounts to the standard bolt pattern. I need a clamp on mount. Not inexpensive but way cheaper than any new or good used 9.9 I've seen lately.

Garelick makes a fixed mount rated for the HP and weight but just barely. Not enough setback though. I think I need 10-12" based on what I see as it is mounted on my skiff.

Panther Marine has a tilt model rated for the HP but not weight. Power tilt sure would be nice.

"Offshore kicker bracket" seems to be the words that work best for searching for this part. Still digging through the links.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

If its just you and daughter, or one other person, I'd look at a Garvey for that 25hp and planing performance.

Google search "garvey landing craft" for inspiration. Unless you have mobility restrictions, I see the door as more trouble than its worth on a small boat. Would be pretty cool though.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

With your requirements I would look at the GF18 I think.

Good luck.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

My daughter, her sisters and maybe a couple of friends. Plus an adult until she is old enough to get a boater safety certificate.

I am fine with limited performance. To me, it is a training tool. One has to use a boat within its limitations and all boats have limitations.

The ramp is a must because it is cool looking.

The plans look like the boat will go together quickly. Very important that it progress because 10 year olds don't have the best attention span. We don't have time for a plank on frame boat.

A proper engine bracket is a just a little speed bump.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Plans are here and the planning has begun. I ordered the metric plans and they sent me the US plans. Correct ones are in the mail. I can't get away from inches and fractions no matter how hard I try. I did buy a metric only tape measure awhile back and have been practicing on projects around the house.

I just looked up Virginia boating rules and if it has under 10hp, there is no age limit to operate. A 9.9HP is back on the table. The Suzuki DF9.9B is supposed to be easy to upgrade to 20HP. The 9.9, 15 and 20 are the same engine.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I bet you will be pleased with the Suzuki 9.9 I have had one for nine years. I use it for salmon trolling in saltwater. No idea of the hours on it but it a bunch. The only problem I have had is a blown fuse that we think was caused by a low battery.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

https://www.clcboats.com/sketchbook/shanty_boat.html

Personally with the 25hp I’d build the GF16 and have a lot more capability than the barge.

I don’t think anyone here would suggest plank on frame.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Matt Gent wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:35 pm https://www.clcboats.com/sketchbook/shanty_boat.html

Personally with the 25hp I’d build the GF16 and have a lot more capability than the barge.

I don’t think anyone here would suggest plank on frame.
That is a cool looking design from CLC. Seems a little impossible in the stability department, will probably stay a concept. I like the curves in the hull vs. slab sides. Hmm.

98% of where this boat is going to go is a no wake zone. There are many sand bars at low tide to explore. Also a few beaches protected by shallow water. The ramp, tiny draft and good freeboard are a must so that rules out just about everything else. Daddy wants a GS28 but that isn't happening any time soon so this one will do for now. 9.9 hp will allow my kids to legally operate it without me. At least it will say 9.9 on the cowl. The Suzuki is petty easy to upgrade to 20hp.