PG25 or GS28

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: PG25 or GS28

Post by fallguy1000 »

I think the Abaco 23 with 150 hp could also work. It is a little beamier, but might be more comfortable fishing from than the Panga. Not sure if you can extend here 2', but it would be a lot of boat at 23' and very comfy fishing and sea running.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Johnston
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Johnston »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:50 am I think the Abaco 23 with 150 hp could also work. It is a little beamier, but might be more comfortable fishing from than the Panga. Not sure if you can extend here 2', but it would be a lot of boat at 23' and very comfy fishing and sea running.
Thank you - yes it’s a nice boat - but here where we are that is a lot of horsepower.... the most common engine here is the Yamaha 40 which we can run on kerosene as well.

Part of the appeal of the Panga 25 is that twin 40s would meet the power requirements I believe?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Johnston wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:03 am Many thanks for the suggestions. Yes a part feels a Panga is the better fit overall.

Does anyone know what cruising speeds the PG25 perform best at. I know the GS 28 says 20kts cruise in the study plans.

Thanks
I ran the Pangs through one of my calculators, used a Yamaha 115HP motor and 2650lbs displacement, and came up with a low to mid-20's mph at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. It really depends on how the boat is loaded. Thus the range. Jacques gives a load range of 2650-3400lbs in the SP's. I forgot top speed would be in the mid-30's, you could go with a 90hp which would lower your top speed, low 30's, some but not other wise affect the boat.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Johnston wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:42 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:50 am I think the Abaco 23 with 150 hp could also work. It is a little beamier, but might be more comfortable fishing from than the Panga. Not sure if you can extend here 2', but it would be a lot of boat at 23' and very comfy fishing and sea running.
Thank you - yes it’s a nice boat - but here where we are that is a lot of horsepower.... the most common engine here is the Yamaha 40 which we can run on kerosene as well.

Part of the appeal of the Panga 25 is that twin 40s would meet the power requirements I believe?
The only reason to run doubles is for redundancy. This means separate start batteries, separate fuel tanks. Steering can be linked.

But the double does nothing if the support systems are not separate. A battery dies and you are out. A fuel tank runs out and you are stuck. A backup tank and a backup battery make the 2nd engines worth it.

Otherwise, go with a single F70 Yamaha
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Johnston
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Johnston »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:12 pm
The only reason to run doubles is for redundancy. This means separate start batteries, separate fuel tanks. Steering can be linked.

But the double does nothing if the support systems are not separate. A battery dies and you are out. A fuel tank runs out and you are stuck. A backup tank and a backup battery make the 2nd engines worth it.

Otherwise, go with a single F70 Yamaha
Here where we are you can pull start the 40 Hp, so battery redundancy not such a big deal. We always run a simple portable gas tank to each engine so that is also not an issue. Whilst I agree that the 4 Strokes are lovely engines, I think I would prefer the simplicity of having the same engines that are locally common and easy to maintain and find parts for.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Given your constraints power wise I think I would build a stock PG-25. If things like nidaplast are available I would use them and try to keep the boat as light as I could. Resist the urge to add lots of extra features and keep it light and simple. Sometimes light and simple make the best and most used craft.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

Remember, when scaling, you're only scaling the length...not the beam. So the panga would be longer, but still uber narrow...but that may be ok with you.

With your HP constraints, I would stick with the stock PG25. A mix of plywood hull & solid honeycomb floor would make for a decently light package.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Why wouldn’t you scale the beam? Jacques always suggests that you would scale all dimensions. That would include beam, freeboard, etc.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

First I would not scale the PG25 it needs to have every dimension scaled due to its shape. Okay after running twin 40's or 80 HP through my calculator you would have a top speed of high 20's, low 30's. Cruise will depend on the prop you get, the load you have, etc, it should be about 1/2 throttle or a little less. Once you get on the water you will know, every boat is different.

Good luck

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Johnston
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Johnston »

Thank you everyone for your amazingly informative responses.

The build time of the Panga seems very fast in the study plans - is it significantly faster than some of the other boats and is this because only 2 stringers?

Working 9-5 could 2 people complete a basic Panga 25 in a month?

TomW1 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:29 am First I would not scale the PG25 it needs to have every dimension scaled due to its shape. Okay after running twin 40's or 80 HP through my calculator you would have a top speed of high 20's, low 30's. Cruise will depend on the prop you get, the load you have, etc, it should be about 1/2 throttle or a little less. Once you get on the water you will know, every boat is different.

Good luck

Tom
This is good news Tom. Does your calculator say what speed it would do with a single 40? Or one trimmed up?