GF16 Questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
DaveTN
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GF16 Questions

Post by DaveTN »

I'm looking at starting my first build here in Australia and I'm narrowing my choice down - I think the GF16 might be for me but I'd like some information on its capabilities.

The boat will mainly be used solo fishing flat water on our local lake system, the lakes can get choppy but I'm never far from home and conditions are generally fairly predictable. I'd like room enough to take my wife and two children on the occasional cruise in good weather - no need for crazy speeds.

I have a good 15hp motor which is probably just adequate but will look at a 25hp if necessary in future.

I need to keep build costs down as much as possible and while I have some spare time I'd like to keep the build as simple as possible.

I'd really like to hear about peoples experiences with the GF16 and/or whether there is a better option for my needs.

Thanks in advance

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GF16 Questions

Post by TomW1 »

The GF16 should be the a great first boat for you, ir is easy to build. Your 15hp is fine for you now it will get you on plane and depending on the weight of your family them also. I was on my best buds and we weighed 475lb between us, he had a 25hp and we hit a top speed of 32 mph. So you can extrapolate from that for your 15. This was measured on a GPS fish finder. As far as handling a light chop is fine but once white caps start forming it is probably time to start thinking about going in.

Good luck

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Duplicate
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

DaveTN
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DaveTN »

Thanks mate,

I’ve bought the plans and cleaned out the workshop. Picking up plywood tomorrow, looking forward to the build.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Now might be a good time to read some build threads on it. Cracker Larry's is one but I think some of his photos got lost.

One gotcha I remember is that sometimes a rocker develops when stitching. Screw the bottom panel to a 2 by 4 to keep it straight over the last 2m when you assemble.

DaveTN
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DaveTN »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:08 am Now might be a good time to read some build threads on it. Cracker Larry's is one but I think some of his photos got lost.

One gotcha I remember is that sometimes a rocker develops when stitching. Screw the bottom panel to a 2 by 4 to keep it straight over the last 2m when you assemble.
Hey thanks mate that's good advice. I've been reading as many build threads as I can, looking forward to starting

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

DaveTN wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:15 pm
OneWayTraffic wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:08 am Now might be a good time to read some build threads on it. Cracker Larry's is one but I think some of his photos got lost.

Hey thanks mate that's good advice. I've been reading as many build threads as I can, looking forward to starting
You can also use concrete blocks to hold it flat. The one thing you do not want is rocker developing when you stitch and glue the bottom.

Good luck.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Hi

I have experience with the GF14, same boat a bit shorter, and can carry 3 or 4, the 16 will be much more comfortable at 4. It's very nice for fishing on rivers/lakes but you have to slow down in chop or it will hit hard. It's wonderful on flat water. In terms of performance I'm reaching 30km/h (20mph?) solo with a 9.9hp, so a 15 should be good.

When riding solo you have to steer from the middle bench with a long tiller extension. I found the position uncomfortable so I added a small side console and remote controls. If you go this way it is easier to plan for it upfront.

Yes there is a small rocker (1-2 cm), part of the design to keep the cuts of the side panels straight, but easy to get rid of, stitch the side panels loosely in the back half, flatten the sole, glue/tape inside and grind the excess plywood on the side panels.

Good luck
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.