CX19 Design Questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Grizzly
New Poster
New Poster

CX19 Design Questions

Post by Grizzly »

Hello all. I'm in Seattle, WA (USA not Western Aus. :D ) and I've been looking at the CX19 plans and I have some of questions.

1. I understand there is a difference between foam sandwich and plywood. Are there foam plans for this build? Should I stick with plywood?
2. I'd like to build an outboard extension to leave more room on the deck for fishing is there a plan for it?
3. It was tough to tell from the sample plans but where is the fuel tank?
4. It looks like there are storage bins next to the transom? I'm guessing they can be used as live wells?
5. Is there an option for an overhead to create a semi enclosed pilot house?

Thanks

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: CX19 Design Questions

Post by TomW1 »

Grizzly wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:48 pm Hello all. I'm in Seattle, WA (USA not Western Aus. :D ) and I've been looking at the CX19 plans and I have some of questions.

I will try to answer your questions as best as I can.

1. I understand there is a difference between foam sandwich and plywood. Are there foam plans for this build? Should I stick with plywood?

Foam will cost at least 3x as much but you can defiantly use it.

2. I'd like to build an outboard extension to leave more room on the deck for fishing is there a plan for it?

You can use a jack plate that extends about 4" off the transom and allows you to raise the motor. But a full platform like an Armstrong is not recommended for the C19's.

3. It was tough to tell from the sample plans but where is the fuel tank?

It is under the sole.

4. It looks like there are storage bins next to the transom? I'm guessing they can be used as live wells?

Sure go for it.

5. Is there an option for an overhead to create a semi enclosed pilot house?

It can be done, but make it out of cloth.

Thanks
Hope this helps, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

If you mean an outboard bracket, then 21 feet is about the minimum length the Designer recommends.

There is also a C21 that could take a similar style layout as the CX19 with a bracket; or there is the Open Pilot 21, Pilot 21 or the Novi 23 which all might be worth a look at as designs if you need a little more deck space and/ or want to add a bracket. Any of these 21 foot designs without a bracket would be about the same length as a CX19 with a bracket - so am going to assume that you at least have room for a 21 foot boat.

All these hulls have a relatively shallow V - which as I understand it means there aren’t many performance advantages to a bracket.

I believe the difference in labour between a 19 and a 21 footer will be negligible.

I know very little about foam core - but my understanding is that in boats this size there is very little weight benefit from using it, a lot of extra expense and time in the construction, and frankly, the plywood and the build system is simple and nice to work. You may have better resale with foam core - but don’t consider building a boat yourself if you think there is a profit to be made selling it on!

Hope this helps

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

The problem with foam core is that to avoid penetration damage from sharp objects, the skins must be quite thick. The well known architect Dave Gerr recommends a minimum thickness of 2.5mm in his book, for example. You can use less, but at some risk. 2.5mm is much more than required for strength, unless you are using a dense impact resistant core like plywood. The wood will not rot if well coated with epoxy and the boat looked after. The wooden boat will cost less, weigh about the same and last just as long.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks Onewaytraffic. It's an important point however, it is possible to build the CX19 in foam sandwich. Expensive and not as easy as a plywood core but possible.

The fuel tank location is shown on the plans, centered about the rear face of the console BUT if you use a bracket, you must move it forward a few inches.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

There is a reason that Jacques in the past has not recommended a motor bracket on a C19. By moving the motor the 2' back that a bracket requires, you need to move 754lbs of equivalent weight forward of the LCG if you use a 115HP engine which is what most guys use on a C19. If you use a 90HP it is 706lbs. I use Yamaha motors as my examples. This is why it makes it extremely difficult to balance out a C19 with a platform and why Jacques doesn't recommend it on boats under 21'. By the way many years ago I worked with Jacques trying to balance out a C19 for a platform and we ended up deciding it was not worth the effort.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978