OB 17

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB 17

Post by OneWayTraffic »

double post

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

The FS 19 that I built for my brother has been used extensively in the rivers, bays and ocean along the Mid- Atlantic, Southeast US and Gulf of Mexico. It is an extremely sea worthy, dry riding and comfortable boat that has the added benefit of being able to operate on plane at relatively slow speeds. It currently resides in Virginia and is used mainly on the Chesapeake Bay.

The OB 19 & C19 will have deeper V’s, more freeboard and are generally larger boats than the FS-19. The same will be true of the 17 foot models. In all likelihood they will all be more than sufficient for your needs.

Incorporating splash rails or reverse chines will do a lot to aid in achieving a dry ride.

If you are concerned about sea keeping ability, generally a larger boat is better. If you are concerned about economy, a smaller boat is better. If you plan on loading the boat heavily with people or stuff the boat with more volume would be better.

I would prioritize your needs and then select the model that most closely match them.

Best wishes as you embark on your boat building project.

Hed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Hed »

Thanks for your input One Way Traffic. My first choice was to to build a 17ft boat but because of the size motor that I already have Jacques advised me to build one of the 19ft boats. So it is going to between the OB19 and C19. I see on the drawings the C19 has a deadrise of 12 degrees at the transom. I could not find the deadrise on the OB19 drawings. I used my trig calculations, now I have not used trig for many many years so forgive me if I stuffed it up but I worked it out that the deadrise at the transom of the OB19 was between 6 and 7 degrees. I know the deadrise at mid ships and going forward is more important than at the transom in rougher seas. I figure that all along the hull the C19 will have a steeper deadrise than the OB19. I do want to go out to the Islands off Queensland and figure the C19 will be better suited for that. Not only that but the shape of the C19 is growing on me so I think I will be putting in an order fairly soon.

By the way I saw the photos of your C17 it looks great.

Hedley

Hed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Hed »

Thanks for your input Browndog. The FS19 does look like a very good boat and definitely one to consider and my motor would fit on it perfectly. Do you have any photos of your brothers boat. Thanks.

Hedley

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Here ya go...

viewtopic.php?t=62020

First complete example of an FS19 documented in these forums. There's another by a guy called Le Roux or something. Not as much bling but a simple straight forward build.

Trig calculation I use is ARCTAN Vertical (keel to chine)/ Horizontal (keel to chine).

Anyway the C17 is 45 degrees at A frame, ~27 at B, 14 at C, and 9 at D-E. I like those numbers. Slow down to keep B in the water and it will go through a head sea nicely. I hope. The C19 could only be better. Same shape, more weight.

Hed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Hed »

Thanks for that