Advice needed on boat kits

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Advice needed on boat kits

Post by MarshallTX »

All great advice; many thanks! From my perspective, if I go a bit up in size and capability, there is a significant jump in kit price. If I go down, not much savings are realized. I may move forward with the FS17 (unless other inputs suggest otherwise).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

MarshallTX wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:13 pm All great advice; many thanks! From my perspective, if I go a bit up in size and capability, there is a significant jump in kit price. If I go down, not much savings are realized. I may move forward with the FS17 (unless other inputs suggest otherwise).
Good choice with the way the kits are cut now with the interlocking pieces they go together easily.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

MarshallTX wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:13 pm All great advice; many thanks! From my perspective, if I go a bit up in size and capability, there is a significant jump in kit price. If I go down, not much savings are realized. I may move forward with the FS17 (unless other inputs suggest otherwise).
Good choice with the way the kits are cut now with the interlocking pieces they go together easily. As a suggestion do some practice with a couple 2x2 plywood panels with the fiberglass to get the feel of it. Also when you order your epoxy kit order 2 or 3 extra gallons everybody always uses more than the kit has in it. :wink:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Tom - These are the type of suggestions I need. Noted! - Marshall