Advice needed on boat kits

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Advice needed on boat kits

Post by MarshallTX »

I have no real boating experience and very little wood working experience. I live close to a lake in Texas which typically has constant wind and some chop. I’m seeking advice on a few boats. I’m considering the D15 or the FS17 that I would use for fishing and general recreation. Would either be good choices considering my inexperience on the water, the light chop I’ll contend with, and my novice building abilities? Also, I’m limited to a 20’ single car garage for the build. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Advice needed on boat kits

Post by VT_Jeff »

MarshallTX wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:13 am I have no real boating experience and very little wood working experience. I live close to a lake in Texas which typically has constant wind and some chop. I’m seeking advice on a few boats. I’m considering the D15 or the FS17 that I would use for fishing and general recreation. Would either be good choices considering my inexperience on the water, the light chop I’ll contend with, and my novice building abilities? Also, I’m limited to a 20’ single car garage for the build. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The DS15 has a vee hull, will take the chop better than the FS17, and be easier to build, esp in a 20' garage.

How many people are you going to be fishing with?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The FS17 is also a V-hull and since it is longer will take a short chop better than the D15. The FS17 will also fit your family need for general recreation. the D15 will not. The FS17 can be taken offshore and has been in New England, it is a very capable boat. I would build it over the D15, which is a very specialized boat, 1-2 persons max. With your 20' garage you will be able to build it. Put the building frame on castors so you can roll it forward and back and you will have plenty of room to work on the transom and bow when you are working on each.

When you buy the FS17 kit buy 2 or 3 extra gallons of epoxy, everyone always uses more than is in the kit. :lol:

Also you can get by with a 30 or 40 HP motor depending on your load with the FS17. It also depends if you are going to pull tubes or skiers.

When you get close to being finished let me know. I have several motor and prop calculators that will give you a with in one pitch of the prop you need.

Good luck on your decision.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Tom, Jeff - Excellent inputs. Much appreciated! Most likely 2 people but an occasional third passenger would always be a possibility.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

As far as lack of experience in building or boating. The FS17 is a great choice to build.(as well as a good option for your family to use) (thought the same could be said for most of the boat plans sold here)

You can look through my build threads, but I had zero wood working experience and very little boating experience when I started and ended up with a boat that I am proud of that works very well for my family.

The entire build process was self taught with the help of the plans and the people here on this forum virtually egging me on and assisting with technical questions as I progressed.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:33 pm The FS17 is also a V-hull and since it is longer will take a short chop better than the D15
You're right! I was confusing the FS17 and the FS18, which is flat.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

narfi wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:19 pm As far as lack of experience in building or boating. The FS17 is a great choice to build.(as well as a good option for your family to use) (thought the same could be said for most of the boat plans sold here)

You can look through my build threads, but I had zero wood working experience and very little boating experience when I started and ended up with a boat that I am proud of that works very well for my family.

The entire build process was self taught with the help of the plans and the people here on this forum virtually egging me on and assisting with technical questions as I progressed.
Narfi - did you modify your bow shape on the FS17?

Marshall - sorry - not trying to hijack your thread! I would always advise you build the bigger boat. The FS17 is a good choice - I have always liked that design.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:19 pm ...I had zero wood working experience and very little boating experience when I started and ended up with a boat that I am proud of that works very well for my family.
I'd like the record to reflect the fact that this guy is currently building his own AIRPLANE, from SCRATCH! Not your average "beginner". So while either boat could certainly be built by a beginner, the fact that Narfi did it proves nothing.

:D

Marshall: My very strong opinion is that you are much better off building something SMALL for your first build, esp with no experience. Getting through the entire process on a small, simple scale will give you a chance to see how the whole process works and allow you to plan a bigger build much easier and result in a much higher quality bigger build and save you a lot of money on a bigger build. As I've said may times, you can ALWAYS use a rowboat, small kayak or canoe, regardless of how many other boats you may ultimately end up with. I would start with one of those. Just my .02.
Last edited by VT_Jeff on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

TomTom wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:45 pm
narfi wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:19 pm As far as lack of experience in building or boating. The FS17 is a great choice to build.(as well as a good option for your family to use) (thought the same could be said for most of the boat plans sold here)

Narfi - did you modify your bow shape on the FS17?

Marshall - sorry - not trying to hijack your thread! I would always advise you build the bigger boat. The FS17 is a good choice - I have always liked that design.
TomTom he built the FS as designed as I recall. It was his first boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I purchased the HC14 and FS17 plans and supplies together. I built the HC14 and then the FS17.
I started with 0 wood working skills. Do not confuse the willingness to attack a large project as knowledge or ability. It is my belief that the willingness to attack a large project like any of these in humility will allow you to accomplish them successfully. (my wife says I am not humble, and alot of times she is right, however I am also not afraid to ask for help and advise and know what I do not know)

The FS17 shape is built to plans. The bow is slightly curved but to the same dimensions as plans, just the front edges radiused instead of straight to match the look of the HC14. I don't think this changes anything structurally or hydrodynamically, just the way it looks slightly. The strakes and chines are optional, to builders preferences, so while not 'to plans' are also not outside of them either.