Powerboat plans

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Knucklehead1
New Poster
New Poster

Powerboat plans

Post by Knucklehead1 »

Program; trailerable power fishing boat for inshore fishing and offshore capabilities, some time ago I chartered a fishing trip out of Oregon inlet NC. Mainly because it was a cs25 type hull and I always wanted to find out how she did in the ocean, with moderate seas we headed out to the Gulf Stream, this particular boat was equipped with a transom bracket and 2 merc 100’s it was the most unbelievable ride I ever had, she seamed to slice thru the waves and was very dry, that’s when I came to be a believer in that hull design, fast forward to today, I’m looking at the plans for the cs25 but going back and forth to the DE25 short cabin/ pilot house, I love the hull design of the CS25 and the cabin of the DE25, my thought was get the plans for the CS25 and just figure out the cabin as I go which I feel capable of doing, but I also thought about just throwing this out there and see what pops up. Thanks

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Powerboat plans

Post by piperdown »

Knucklehead1 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:42 am Program; trailerable power fishing boat for inshore fishing and offshore capabilities, some time ago I chartered a fishing trip out of Oregon inlet NC. Mainly because it was a cs25 type hull and I always wanted to find out how she did in the ocean, with moderate seas we headed out to the Gulf Stream, this particular boat was equipped with a transom bracket and 2 merc 100’s it was the most unbelievable ride I ever had, she seamed to slice thru the waves and was very dry, that’s when I came to be a believer in that hull design, fast forward to today, I’m looking at the plans for the cs25 but going back and forth to the DE25 short cabin/ pilot house, I love the hull design of the CS25 and the cabin of the DE25, my thought was get the plans for the CS25 and just figure out the cabin as I go which I feel capable of doing, but I also thought about just throwing this out there and see what pops up. Thanks
There is a CX25 being built. The CX25 has a cabin. Last couple of pages show the cabin coming together.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61895&start=290
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Lets define your inshore fishing. I assume you mean the wrecks and all off the NC coast. I ask this as the draft of the C25 is 12" or slightly more.

If that is the case then I agree I would recommend the CX225. If you need more interior room you can extend the back wall back a 1' or 18", without disturbing the the balance of the boat. Putting 2 90's or 100's on a platform would be no problem. I think it would be under powered with that HP, I would suggest 125's or 150's. But get the smallest motors with counter rotating props. You need them on a 25' boat for maneuverability.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

The DE and the CS are going to be very different hulls. I see no reason that you couldn't build a DE style cabin on top of the CS hull as long as you are conscious of the fore/aft weight balance.

Knucklehead1
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Knucklehead1 »

First off, thanks for the responses, my inshore fishing will mostly be southern Florida and the keys, offshore will hopefully be over to the Bahamas and out in the Gulf Stream in that area, I would be trying to find a balance with power and economy with the out boards, still some research will need to be done there, looking at the cabin on the CX25 it’s not really what I’m looking for, I’m after more of a pilot house as in the DE25, I suppose I could work with the CX25 but what I was wondering is if I purchased the plans for the CS25 or the CX25 would they include the cabin plans for the DE25 with reference to placement for balance? Maybe I should just call them up,

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Knucklehead1 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:01 pm First off, thanks for the responses, my inshore fishing will mostly be southern Florida and the keys, offshore will hopefully be over to the Bahamas and out in the Gulf Stream in that area, I would be trying to find a balance with power and economy with the out boards, still some research will need to be done there, looking at the cabin on the CX25 it’s not really what I’m looking for, I’m after more of a pilot house as in the DE25, I suppose I could work with the CX25 but what I was wondering is if I purchased the plans for the CS25 or the CX25 would they include the cabin plans for the DE25 with reference to placement for balance? Maybe I should just call them up,
Definitely give Jeff a call if you buy a set of plans they will almost always include a different cabin layout from a different boat. It won't hurt to ask by any means. Just remember you won't be able to change the hull of the CS25, you will have to work around that to fit in the DE25 pilot house/cabin. The number at the office is 772 742 8535

I will be honest i don't like how the DE pilot house looks on the CS and I think it will be very hot in south Florida. But if that is what you want you are the builder and you can do what you want. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to build a boat.

The CS 25 is a beautiful boat with wonderful lines.

The FS 19 that I built for my brother has been a great bay boat for the coast of Georgia for inshore and nearshore use and now resides in Virginia where it is used extensively in the Chesapeake Bay.

I’ve thought often about building a CS 25 scaled up by 10% with a bracket and twin engines with either a center console or with a walkaround cabin with a hardtop, isinglass and maybe a half tower.

Best wishes to you as you embark on making your dreamboat a reality.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Knucklehead1 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:01 pm First off, thanks for the responses, my inshore fishing will mostly be southern Florida and the keys, offshore will hopefully be over to the Bahamas and out in the Gulf Stream in that area, I would be trying to find a balance with power and economy with the out boards, still some research will need to be done there, looking at the cabin on the CX25 it’s not really what I’m looking for, I’m after more of a pilot house as in the DE25, I suppose I could work with the CX25 but what I was wondering is if I purchased the plans for the CS25 or the CX25 would they include the cabin plans for the DE25 with reference to placement for balance? Maybe I should just call them up,
Knucklehead I will gladly run the numbers through my power calculators at various twin HP options. It would just mean adjusting the HP once I had all the other numbers input. The recommended size of propeller would also change with the HP change also of course. As I said before I recommend counter rotating props with a boat the size of the CS25 for dockside approach and departure but if you are comfortable with the props rotating the same way then that is fine. I have propped boats from a FS17 to a CX25 and everything in between. So will be glad to help. Determining HP is the easy part, getting the right prop for that HP is the tricky part. That is where my calculators come in. There is one prop company that charges only $75 to exchange the prop instead of having a new prop if it is not right. I know of one guy that spent over $2000 on props before he got what he liked. 8O

What i will need from you right now is your normal passenger load, fuel load in gallons, water you will be carrying in baitwell and other tanks in gallons, coolers and ice weight, depending on the size of the boat I use a set amount for wiring, hydraulics and other fixed items, also another one for safety gear, fishing gear, drinks and food depending on people on board.

You have a big boat to build so if you don't want to do this now, you can do it later as you get ready to buy your motors.

Regards, Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knucklehead1
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Knucklehead1 »

Thanks guys for your responses!, Tom I will definitely take you up on your offer when I make my final decision on the plans, I’ve actually started working out some of those details , so thank you.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

What matters here is hull shape and weight. Once the hull of the CS25 is built, it is relatively easy to modify the cabin to your preferences but keep an eye on weight. Try not to add too much weight to the hull.
Technically, it is not difficult. You will build the hull around MDF molds. Later, for the cabin, you will take measurements from the assembled hull. Respect the frames spacing that I show and use the fiberglass specs of the CS25. I will help if necessary. TomW may give you some figures for max. weight: we use the Crouch formula and we always get close.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com