Swift Canoe 16 Length

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Lion

Swift Canoe 16 Length

Post by Lion »

I am so close to pulling the trigger on a Swift Canoe. I think it's the perfect boat for my intended use, except that I wish it was a bit longer. Can the SC 16 be lengthened to about 17' LOA or a little more? I will be doing multi-day overnight trips and feel the extra room for cargo would be a good thing to have. I intend to power the boat with an electric OB about 2hp or less, with lithium batteries (due to their lesser weight and better efficiency over traditional deep cycle). Thanks.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Swift Canoe 16 Length

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes as long as you do not exaggerate: 17' is fine. And not more than 2 or 3 HP.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Not sure if it is advisable by the designer, but generally it is easier to scale all dimensions by 5-7%, especially if using the metric plans. That would give you the extra length you want and would give you more beam, volume and cargo carrying capacity.

It would also increase the weight and the cost of the build as it would require more materials. The nesting plan may no longer work resulting possibly in some waste.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Browndog wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:25 pm Not sure if it is advisable by the designer, but generally it is easier to scale all dimensions by 5-7%, especially if using the metric plans. That would give you the extra length you want and would give you more beam, volume and cargo carrying capacity.

It would also increase the weight and the cost of the build as it would require more materials. The nesting plan may no longer work resulting possibly in some waste.
Browndog, Jacques just answered him above you.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978