FS17 or OB15

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS17 or OB15

Post by joe2700 »

MarshallTX wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:04 am Joe - I'm trying to learn as I'm very much a novice. Most likely, I will not add and go with the basic design. Would really like to see a picture of what you are doing. Can you provide? - Marshall

Here is my build thread which has pretty good detail about everything I've done. viewtopic.php?t=61781 There are some great FS17 and FS19 build threads you should find and read if you haven't already. I find them incredibly helpful as I plan and build.

I don't have any recent pics of the outside from far away since the boat is in the garage, this is the most recent:
Imgur Album

And this shows the raised sheer directly form the side way earlier in the build when I first raised the sheer:
Imgur Album

Here is a more recent interior pic.
Imgur Album

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Lovely boat. Keep in mind Marshall that the standard plans for the FS17 do not have a gunwale. Just a rubrail and some side frames or thwarts to stiffen it up. If building the FS17 my preference would have been to keep it light and simple. No raised sides, tiller steering and cross thwarts for extra flotation, storage and to stiffen up the sides. As soon as you add the features that most on here do, then the weight and cost gets up to a level similar to the C17 or OB17. That's what I'm currently struggling with. I want to add features to my C17, but of course that increases weight.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:37 pm Lovely boat. Keep in mind Marshall that the standard plans for the FS17 do not have a gunwale. Just a rubrail and some side frames or thwarts to stiffen it up. If building the FS17 my preference would have been to keep it light and simple. No raised sides, tiller steering and cross thwarts for extra flotation, storage and to stiffen up the sides. As soon as you add the features that most on here do, then the weight and cost gets up to a level similar to the C17 or OB17. That's what I'm currently struggling with. I want to add features to my C17, but of course that increases weight.
Here here. While fairly pleased with the boat I built(ok, am building) there's a decent-sized part of me that would like to go back, start over, and build more or less exactly to the designers specs. Would have saved about a year, thousands of dollars, about a hundred pounds.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you are going to be going out by yourself a lot I would build the console version. It balances the weight better. Other wise you will have to play around with adding weight forward towards the bow to offset your weight at the stern. Or build the version with the seats and sit on the middle seat with a tiller extension. Otherwise keep everything as simple as you can.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Again, all great advice. My inexperience will probably drive me towards the design as-is (most likely the center console option). Someone mentioned cross thwarts. Can you explain?

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Joe- Great boat!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

MarshallTX wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:19 pm Again, all great advice. My inexperience will probably drive me towards the design as-is (most likely the center console option). Someone mentioned cross thwarts. Can you explain?
Don't worry about thwarts another name for small frames or cross pieces, most often used in very small boats, canoes come to mind. Just get the kit and build it per plan and you will be fine.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

MarshallTX wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:19 pm Again, all great advice. My inexperience will probably drive me towards the design as-is (most likely the center console option). Someone mentioned cross thwarts. Can you explain?
Seats that go from side to side. I could have just said bench seats to avoid the confusion. Simple, strong as they stiffen the sides and you can combine flotation and storage under if you want.