FS17 or OB15

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS17 or OB15

Post by MarshallTX »

I’ve learned a lot from my last post and may make a kit purchase this week. I’m leaning towards the FS17 but now have some curiosity about the OB15. I’m inexperienced on the water, wind and chop on lakes in my area, and a definite novice on boat building along with limited woodworking skills. Between the FS17 and OB15 for fishing and general recreation, does anyone have advice or recommendations?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS17 or OB15

Post by TomW1 »

Stick with the FS17, the OB15 is much smaller and good for families on calm days. If you want the OB17 would be a good alternative as it has more interior space inside than the FS17. Why do you keep going back to smaller boats that will not handle the chop you describe. Again think things through and keep asking questions. There are no bad questions. The guys here will help you get through your build. There have been lots of builders with no experience build one of these boats. It just takes time and patience.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Bigger is always better until you reach the point that you can't store, tow, power or handle it.

The OB15 looks like a nice little boat, but the FS17 would be my choice if you can handle the extra size. Built really simple with a tiller it will not need any more power or a bigger tow vehicle.

I'm building a C17. Everyone that sees it comments on the size of it. It's only a 17' but it's a lot bigger than expected when up close. I know that it will get smaller as soon as I put everything I want on it. I'm already wishing I had the room to build the C19 but that was not going to happen.

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

The C17 is a great hull for fishing and recreation...I use mine on Buzzards Bay in the northeast which is typically nice and calm in the morning but windy and choppy in the afternoon.
It's high freeboard and motorwell bulkhead are great features for staying dry and comfortable when it gets a little rough. I eliminated the cuddy cabin up front and went with an open layout and center console.
little more work to build than the other boats mentioned but well worth it imo.

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Rmarsh - Great looking boat!

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

All inputs appreciated; many thanks! I’m moving forward with the FS-17. Quick questions: The web study plans indicate an option for a raised sheer. Is there a need/reason to raise the freeboard? Why do this on the FS17?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The raised sheer option is for those going off shore and encountering larger seas. I would not bother with it if you are only dealing with a light to moderate chop. One of our English builders did the raised sheer as he went off the shores there where he needed it. There have not been to many built with the raised sheer. It is a very safe boat as designed. Make sure you put on the spray rails.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Tom - Much appreciated! - Marshall

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:48 pm The raised sheer option is for those going off shore and encountering larger seas. I would not bother with it if you are only dealing with a light to moderate chop. One of our English builders did the raised sheer as he went off the shores there where he needed it. There have not been to many built with the raised sheer. It is a very safe boat as designed. Make sure you put on the spray rails.

Tom
I'm building a raised sheer FS17 but have not yet launched. I do not think the raised sheer is only about larger seas. Honestly as a self bailing boat until things get really bad that shouldn't matter much. I built the raised sheer because I like to be in a boat not on it. I like the inwhale to be above the knee to lean against. I think it's a style preference and also seems to be regional. In the northeast more boats seem to be built so that you are in them not on top of them. I rarely see the very low sided boats that are so popular on here with many southern builders. While not launched I can walk around in my boat now, and I would not have felt at home in the standard sheer, it would have been too low. I think they are both almost equally seaworthy, maybe with the exception of stuffing the bow in a wave.

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Joe - I'm trying to learn as I'm very much a novice. Most likely, I will not add and go with the basic design. Would really like to see a picture of what you are doing. Can you provide? - Marshall