GV10 Davit lift points

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
RandyMcG

GV10 Davit lift points

Post by RandyMcG »

Hello,

I just purchased the GV10 plans and intend to use the boat as a replacement for our Achilles inflatable for our sailboat.
My question, I want to install davit lifting points on the GV10. We have Garhauer davits on the boat, approx 6.5 ft apart at the lifting lines. I have 2 motors, I'll either be using a 2 cycle Merc 9.8, or a Nissan 4 stroke 6hp, i'm guessing 70 lbs for the 9,8 and 60lbs for the 6hp.
Where would the best location for installing the lifting eyes on the GV10 be located? How would I go about reinforcing those areas? Please note, I would like to be able to keep the outboard on the GV10 for short jaunts, hoisting either of those engines up to the stern rail kinda sucks for short trips.
Thanks

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GV10 Davit lift points

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

When we had our GV10 it was lifted by a stern arch that was much wider. So we had 2 thru-bolted lifting eyes in the inside of the transom, and just lifted the bow by the bow towing eye. We had a 90 lb 15 HP on it. We took the motor off for long ocean passages or overnight sails, but for daysails we kept the motor on all the time, even in bumpy conditions. It was important to lash the boat down so it didn't swing in the davits, either laterally or fore/aft. Depending on the height of your davits/transom and size of your boat, I'd suggest taking off the motor if the forecast is rough. Catamarans don't worry about heeling, so are not worried about dragging the motor as they heel.

For you, see the attached sketch.

For the transom, fit 2 eye bolts or U bolts, about 24-36" apart. Make sure the bridle you fit is long enough that the pull is at least 45 degrees or larger angle (in other words you're doing more pulling up than inward). No special reinforcement, just use fender washers on the outside. Drill the bolt holes oversize, fill with thickened epoxy, and then re-drill for correct bolts size. Make sure your bridle doesn't lean on the motor clamps or the transom reinforcing knees.

For the bow you can fit adjacent to the bow eye if you fitted a hatch or opening as shown on the plans. If your U bolt is long enough you can fit a s.s. strap between the bolts make it a sort of double sided U bolt with 2 more nuts. If you add it below the existing one, put it as close to the bottom of the bow transom as possible. The bow is only 1/4" compared to the thicker transom so it needs reinforcing. Use a plywood doubler on the outside.

If you fit the bow line behind the bow compartment, you don't need extra reinforcement if you keep it close to the bow compartment vertical panel. Just fender washers.
bobo.JPG
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

RandyMcG
New Poster
New Poster

Re: GV10 Davit lift points

Post by RandyMcG »

That's exactly what I needed, Thanks Evan
Cheers,
Randy