Sea Ox Tunnel

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Sea Ox Tunnel

Post by cape_fisherman »

Dipper wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:53 pm Thanks for the input guys. I'm still really on the fence as I am trying to decide if I go the composite route and worry about possible resale down the road or just go as cost effective as possible, pure functionality, add the tunnel and dont worry about resale. Ive been told that I can get a new similar commercial hull for a touch over 16k (no tunnel). Jacques, do you have a recommendation on where to get a molded tunnel or should I check with some of the guys that have them on their boats already and fab one myself?
I would absolutely check with your guys. Find the one who says theirs absolutely works, and sweet talk him into letting you pop a mold. Tunnels on inshore commercial hulls are extremely popular where I am...most are built that way, but I would have no issues modifying an existing hull.
Last edited by cape_fisherman on Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Totally agree with CapeFisherman. Even if you can not take a mold you can at least see what you need to do.
And if you are going to use it for earning a living the rules change. Do what you need to do to make work for you. It is no longer a "boat" it is a work platform so do what it needs to be a good tool.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cape_fisherman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:21 pm
Dipper wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:53 pm Thanks for the input guys. I'm still really on the fence as I am trying to decide if I go the composite route and worry about possible resale down the road or just go as cost effective as possible, pure functionality, add the tunnel and dont worry about resale. Ive been told that I can get a new similar commercial hull for a touch over 16k (no tunnel). Jacques, do you have a recommendation on where to get a molded tunnel or should I check with some of the guys that have them on their boats already and fab one myself?
I would absolutely check with you guys. Find the one who says theirs absolutely works, and sweet talk him into letting you pop a mold. Tunnels on inshore commercial hulls are extremely popular where I am...most are built that way, but I would have no issues modifying an existing hull.
Don't forget you will have the added expense of adding a hydraulic jackplate. You start with the motor down at the normal hull depth and raise it up to the water hump as you build speed.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Thanks again guys for all of your input. I do think that the most logical approach is that it is a tool and I think ill do what it takes to make it the best tool for the job. Tom: I run a Bob's 6 inch plate on my fishing rig (24 Pathfinder) which has a stepped transom, while not the same as a tunnel it provides enough "setback" so to speak that I can run with the motor all the way up without cavitation with the 4 blade. If I could accomplish the same thing with the work boat I would be in good shape.

If I cant make my own mold from a buddy's boat what do you think is the best approach to the tunnel itself. Should I take some measurements and try to find a premolded tunnel or try to fab something up to glass over?

Jacques: Any input would be much appreciated if you have any thought on this.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I doubt that you will find a pre-molded tunnel as the manufacturer designs them to the boat they build. So plan on molding your own. If you can find a boat the same length and it has the same dead rise as you have at the transom that would be ideal. If you have a badly designed tunnel it will hurt you more than help you.

Well good luck. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I replied by email.
One moderate vee production boat that worked somewhat was a Stamas made some 30 years ago. I don't remember the model name.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Thanks guys. I found a guy that has one that he says works very well and he is going to make me a mold. I appreciate the input and will continue my rebuild thread as soon as my garage/shelter arrives.