CS materials

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: CS materials

Post by cape man »

Plywood can rot from a pinhole.
Therefore, no pinholes allowed. 8)

I think what Jacques was saying is to use a denser foam core than Divinycel, if you want to use a foam core. If plywood, just make sure to use a BS1088 rated marine ply. I have no clue what's available in Split, but here we can often choose between Meranti and Okume marine plywood, both very good for boat building with epoxy and fiberglass.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Re: CS materials

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:25 pm
Plywood can rot from a pinhole.
Therefore, no pinholes allowed. 8)

I think what Jacques was saying is to use a denser foam core than Divinycel, if you want to use a foam core. If plywood, just make sure to use a BS1088 rated marine ply. I have no clue what's available in Split, but here we can often choose between Meranti and Okume marine plywood, both very good for boat building with epoxy and fiberglass.
Oh, yes, that is my only point. I have plywood in my build. I didn't seal it on the bottom and it got wet and puffed.

The strongest section of my boat was built with plywoods. I had to use it whenever I had structural concerns.

Go to my thread and I will post some, see I like plywood pics in the next few minutes.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495