Before I buy the GF16, size questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Before I buy the GF16, size questions

Post by wpstarling »

Before I purchase the GF16 plans I had a few questions. I've found some info but I'm uncertain on specifics so here's my post :)

If I want to build the GF16 +10%
- is that do-able? I know most, if not all plans, CAN be +10% but does Jacques give his blessing on doing this?
- if it is do-able, how much more wood/foam boards would I need?

Next question:
- I have some 1/2" marine plywood (2 sheets), some 1/2" foam board (1.5 sheets) and 1 sheet of 3/8 foam board. Is it possible to mix/and match them? With wood prices right now I'd like to use what I have if possible.

Last question:
- Is it possible to lay down a sole and remove the middle bench if I put it another brace or two? It would be nice to have a large open sole like the XF20 does

Ideally I want an easy to build boat that allows me to use what I have right now so that when I build my TX18 in the future I'll have all the nuances down and won't make as many mistakes hopefully. I thought about the XF20 but that's a lot of wood/foam to buy and the GF16 could possibly be down with only 3 or 4 sheets versus 14+ for the XF20. I've got a family of 4 so size matters in this case.
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Before I buy the GF16, size questions

Post by TomW1 »

wpstarling wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:47 pm Before I purchase the GF16 plans I had a few questions. I've found some info but I'm uncertain on specifics so here's my post :)

If I want to build the GF16 +10%
- is that do-able? I know most, if not all plans, CAN be +10% but does Jacques give his blessing on doing this?
- if it is do-able, how much more wood/foam boards would I need?

The GF16 is a a larger build of the GF14, so to make it larger you will need maybe 2 sheets of extra plywood, it depends on how it lays out. Jacques will need to answer this question.

Next question:
- I have some 1/2" marine plywood (2 sheets), some 1/2" foam board (1.5 sheets) and 1 sheet of 3/8 foam board. Is it possible to mix/and match them? With wood prices right now I'd like to use what I have if possible.

What type of foam do you have? That will depend if you can use it. Divinycell is what is sold here and Jacques would have to approve where each thickness is used and how much fiberglass is needed on it.

Last question:
- Is it possible to lay down a sole and remove the middle bench if I put it another brace or two? It would be nice to have a large open sole like the XF20 does

It is possible you will need 3" frames where the center seat is at present. And if you are stretching it by 10% you may need to add an additional frame.

Ideally I want an easy to build boat that allows me to use what I have right now so that when I build my TX18 in the future I'll have all the nuances down and won't make as many mistakes hopefully. I thought about the XF20 but that's a lot of wood/foam to buy and the GF16 could possibly be down with only 3 or 4 sheets versus 14+ for the XF20. I've got a family of 4 so size matters in this case.
Well I hope those answered your questions some what. I have fished in a GF16 and it is a really nice boat. My concern for you is by putting a deck in you are raising the Center of Gravity quite a bit on a small boat. With a family I do not know if I would do it. When i was out on the GF16 the 2 of us weighed about 450lbs and with a 25HP 2st had a top speed of about 30mph. If you have any questions please feel to ask.

I see your in FL, don't know how far you are from Vero Beach, but you could go meet the guys and pick up what you need as far as extra plywood, fiberglass and epoxy.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

The foam core I have is Nidaplast (https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prod ... 5AEALw_wcB). I got it from a friend who bought it from BBC years ago and never used it because he developed an allergic reaction to epoxy :(

Currently my family of 4 would weigh less than 450 without gear so the weight wouldn't be much different, 2 of my passengers are less than 60 lbs, but they'll keep growing so it is a concern of the future.

I figured another 3 inch frame or 2 would be needed, I could keep the 16 foot length, I was just curious if it was possible to safely stretch it or not.

I am in the Panhandle in FL so I'm no where near Vero but I grew up in Fort Pierce so if I purchase a large amount of stuff I'll just stop by BBC and then go see my mom so I'm not worried about that, I'm just trying to see what I can and can't use so I know what I need.
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The GF16 can not be enlarged. One of the reasons is that the bottom is made of a the full width of a plywood panel (48"). If you enlarge it by 1", you have to change the whole structure.
There is a larger version named the GF18. As any larger boat, it uses more materials. A larger boat needs a more elaborate structure (framing).

You will be able to use the materials you have but select a plan first.
If you choose the GF16, you can not remove the middle seat box. It is a very important part of the structure.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

jacquesmm wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:25 am The GF16 can not be enlarged. One of the reasons is that the bottom is made of a the full width of a plywood panel (48"). If you enlarge it by 1", you have to change the whole structure.
There is a larger version named the GF18. As any larger boat, it uses more materials. A larger boat needs a more elaborate structure (framing).

You will be able to use the materials you have but select a plan first.
If you choose the GF16, you can not remove the middle seat box. It is a very important part of the structure.
Good to know. If i do the GF16 i'll stick with the planned specs. I was hoping the seat could be removed in favor of an extra frame or 2 so I could do a sole/floor but I was worried about integrity. Looks like I'll have to decide if I'm good with it or not. What got me thinking was a friend has a late 90's Carolina Skiff that's a flat bottom and about 19' long and it feels like he has plenty of room to walk around so I was trying to find something like it that didn't require 15 sheets of plywood :)

The TX18 is my 'dream' boat but I know it'll take me a while to do so that's why I was thinking of an easier boat first.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The middle seat and the two other ones at each ends are boxes that provide the needed stiffness. The design goal was a boat economical and easy to build: a flat plywood sheet as bottom and sole and no stringers. To replace the stringers, we need those boxes.
The Carolina skiffs have a very thick bottom: at least 2", up to 6" in some boats and those boxes provide the stiffness.
We could do that with foam sheets but it would be very expensive.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

The TX18 is my 'dream' boat but I know it'll take me a while to do so that's why I was thinking of an easier boat first.
I would suggest you seriously mull that statement over for a while. If the GF16 (or any other boat) is not what you truly want or need, why not just start on the TX18? The technique(s) are the same, and you will get all the help you need here if you run into something that you aren't sure about. Yes, the bigger boat will take more time and money to build, is more complicated, but if you take your time you can do it, and it will also allow you to break the costs out over that time.

Whatever you decide, welcome to the BBV. Once contracted, this disease can only be treated by building on, or spending time on something you made.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape man wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:25 pm
I would suggest you seriously mull that statement over for a while. If the GF16 (or any other boat) is not what you truly want or need, why not just start on the TX18? The technique(s) are the same, and you will get all the help you need here if you run into something that you aren't sure about. Yes, the bigger boat will take more time and money to build, is more complicated, but if you take your time you can do it, and it will also allow you to break the costs out over that time.

Whatever you decide, welcome to the BBV. Once contracted, this disease can only be treated by building on, or spending time on something you made.
Or start with something much simpler than even the gf16 for your first build, like a canoe or kayak, and then try the tx18. One thing about this build process is that you often need to cut your teeth on critical areas. Like the hull/keel/transom etc. I think its wise to go through the whole process on a much smaller scale before starting something big. You absolutely can start with the tx18 but I think you'll build a better boat in less time and for less money if you pilot the process first. That's my broken-record rant. Welcome, in any event, and best of luck!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

“build something simple first” is always good advice - but I am disciple of “build what you really want and be done with it”!

My first ever build is a 22’ beast that is everything I want in a boat. I had no previous experience.

The stitch and glue process can be as slow and steady as you need and leads you from the new/ simple stuff into the more challenging stuff you need to get the job finished!

I had no help other than from my wifes extra pair of hands with big glass layups and the ‘tipping’ part of ‘roll and tip’ painting.

You can look up my build thread on here.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I'm in the Barra/Capeman camp. Use the money spent on the boat you don't want to help build the one you do. If you can build the GF16 as a first build then you can build the TX18 the same way. It's just some more of the same. Aside from money, the key thing to a successful build is just to start and not quit. Mistakes will happen pretty much no matter what and they can all be fixed. That said, the GF16 is a fine boat and one I would consider if I ever get rid of my LB22.

Dougster