Planing vs displacement

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Catfishtoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Planing vs displacement

Post by Catfishtoon »

I understand the principles behing both types of hulls.

My question is.... for YOU personally..... what is the draw for a displacement hull over a planing hull. I have never had one.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Planing vs displacement

Post by cape man »

Going slow, steady, far, and cheap. And going big.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

And, there is middle ground.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Get caught one time 100 miles offshore and have 25 foot lumps blow up. You will become a fan of full displacement hulls in a hurry :wink:

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

The one thing I really like with displacement hulls is that I usually find running them to be extremely relaxed. Unless conditions are absolutely terrible, even moderately rough seas off the west coast feel pretty manageable. If you have any shelter at all, then getting where you want to go just takes patience.

I used to do rough crossings of a little channel about fifteen miles across and something like a hundred miles long, basically in line with the prevailing winds, every two or three weeks. I did that for five years. I often thought that if I just had a double ender salmon troller, I'd be doing it without stress, instead of gritting my teeth and launching off every wave at twenty knots until I couldn't stop visualizing the bulkheads separating from the hull and slowed to a crawl for a while.

That said, time is money, and whenever I think I might just want a converted troller, I do the math on fuel to a given location and remember that often you can get a diesel sportfish there at 20 knots for nearly the same money, in a third the time.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:29 pm Get caught one time 100 miles offshore and have 25 foot lumps blow up. You will become a fan of full displacement hulls in a hurry :wink:
Ugh. I honestly can't imagine. Even 25' in a boat like Skoota would be terrifying if they are random or rogue and I'd be sick.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

A displacement hull will use less gas and get you where you want to go sooner or later. A planning hull will get you there faster but use more gas. As far as ride in rough water a displacement hull is superior, a planning hull will need to slow down in the same conditions.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Catfishtoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Catfishtoon »

Great answers and thank you all.

Next question.
Specifically the HMD.....

In wind, waves and current..... does a hmd still move in the direction you want it to?

Next question... if i already have a 15"shaft motor, could you put it on a jack plate to get it low enough?

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Jackplate I don't know. Wind, waves and current...depends on the wind, the waves and the current.

There's spots around here with a ten knot current. Even without wind or waves, you're waiting for a tide change. A good friend has a fifty foot Monk cruiser; he can run it all day for a hundred bucks in diesel but he has to plan around the tides.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Catfishtoon wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:16 pm Great answers and thank you all.

Next question.
Specifically the HMD..... is

In wind, waves and current..... does a hmd still move in the direction you want it to?

Next question... if i already have a 15"shaft motor, could you put it on a jack plate to get it low enough?
i

A displacement boat is limited by the conditions it is in. It is usually limited to a max speed of 6-8mph so if wind and currents are both against it can barely have forward way on. But generally in answer to your question is yes, you will have control in most conditions. There are some areas of the US where you would have to wait for the incoming or outgoing tide to make the passage but in general a displacement boat can go any where.

A jack plate only moves in one position and that is up and then down. So my best advice would probably be sell the 15" and buy a new 20" shaft. You could cut down the transom for the 15" but is it set up for remote steering.

Well good luck to you. The HMD is a good boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978