Minimum enclosed head size?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Minimum enclosed head size?

Post by jbo_c »

I’m about to start a shanty boat build and trying to confirm what size “have-to’s” need to be to fit in the boat. So current question is what are the minimum dimensions for an enclosed head.

Actual fixture will be a self contained camp toilet of one make or another.

SWMBO says curtain closure won’t do if she’s going to stay on it.

I’m thinking I can get away with 24”x 36”. Would really like to make it 24”x30”, but I think you’d have to go in with your pants already down. LOL. There would be room to sit, but not to bend over to disrobe. :)

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Jbo

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Minimum enclosed head size?

Post by fallguy1000 »

JBo

Get her a can of beer and get you one, too. Planning a boat is half the fun.

Then get a five gallon bucket and lay it out. Put the bucket facing a wall and then sit on the bucket and get up. You are right on the 24", but the 36 may be tight for many folks. There are ways to make a smaller enclosure work. An outswinging door is a good way to save a shitton of room. I get that one? Anyhow, I have a small bathroom with a shower and it is 72" and the shower is probably about 30, so the toilet and standing/dressing area is about 42". And, yes, our door swings out.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Planning is 90% of the fun. She’s not real interested, just humoring me. So I’m trying to make sure it has everything she wants while maximizing space. Looking at a lot of tiny house designs.

Need an enclosed head, full size permanent bed(not fold-up), galley, and clothes storage in 75 square feet. Have it down to 83 at the moment.

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Actually, I can make it work in 75, but don’t want to mount the bed transverse. Would rather make the cabin bigger.

Jbo

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

jbo_c wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:07 pm Planning is 90% of the fun. She’s not real interested, just humoring me. So I’m trying to make sure it has everything she wants while maximizing space. Looking at a lot of tiny house designs.

Need an enclosed head, full size permanent bed(not fold-up), galley, and clothes storage in 75 square feet. Have it down to 83 at the moment.

Jbo
83 is tight..I have about 110

We have clothes storage behind the seat backs and under the bed. The electrical is in one of the kitchen cabinets. Going vertical is an option. But the head spaces are really important to make it nice for folks.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Any chance you have a drawing of your layout? Maybe there’s a place to grab efficiency that I haven’t thought of.

Jbo

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The real gain with the Skoota is the console is on the back of the cabin and the helmsman overlooks the cabin which gives you great visibility, at the expense of a blind spot in the front. Some real challenges with helm access and of course, the cog is raised..which the designer must approve.

I can give you a layout within a week. I have to find the drawings; give me some time to find them.

There a a ton of small space challenges. The biiggest is the dinette/queen bed are the same.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Thanks. I’ll look forward to it. My helm will be out on the front “porch”, so that’s out of the way. Nothing in the cabin but cabin. Will see if I can add a picture of my proposed cabin layout in the morning.

Talked to BBC Friday, so getting really close to pulling the trigger. Just need to iron out the last few details.

Jbo

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Look at airlines. Absolutely as small as possible.
The traditional lavatories in first class and coach on a Boeing 757-300 measured, 41 inches long by 34 1/2 inches wide by 75 inches high.

On a Boeing 737-800, the new bathroom in first class measured 36 by 27 by 77, and in coach measured 39 3/4 by 24 1/2 by 77. The new lavatories, which have smaller sinks and trash receptacles, are a bit taller than the traditional bathrooms, but narrower and not as deep

Theses are as minimal as possible if you want to include the sink in it.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Sorry. I forgot about the drawing. I will try to draw it tomorrow for you.