PG22 Questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Hunt2871
New Poster
New Poster

PG22 Questions

Post by Hunt2871 »

I have a 2012 Yamaha 40 HP Tiller and a 2019 Mercury 60 HP Tiller that I need to do something with and I would like a boat that would be capable of fishing passes and short distances offshore on the SE and Gulf coasts. I have fished out of Pangas in Mexico and the Caribbean so I know how capable they are and what drawbacks they have (wet ride, not as stable as a wider boat etc). I would like to use the 40 on a new boat as the 60 is the motor on my duck boat and it does very well. My question is how would the PG22 perform with a 40 HP tiller. No benches, short casting deck, sole and probably a 30 or so gallon built in bait tank in the center of the boat? I have seen Panga operators sit down and stand up to drive tiller powered Pangas....would it be possible to see over the bow from the stern in a sitting position until it got up on a plane with a 40 horse? Would a jack plate get it up quicker? I appreciate any answers...

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PG22 Questions

Post by jacquesmm »

On a PG22, the 60 would work well with a tiller extension. The transition to plane on my Pangas is very progressive, no excessive trim, no visibility problems.
The 40 is borderline for the PG22.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com