Trailereable sail cruiser for six

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Enrique Bruna
New Poster
New Poster

Trailereable sail cruiser for six

Post by Enrique Bruna »

Hi ; I recently join this Forum, and I like ask if somebody know a plan for build a wooden sail cruiser for six. It must be trailereable.
I'll appreciate any answer.
Enrique

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Trailereable sail cruiser for six

Post by rick berrey »

As no one has answered yet I will take a swing at it . The VG26 can sleep 5 and might sleep 6 if you tweaked the design , or put 3 kids in the rear stern birth . I take it when you say cruise you are talking weekend or a week , the VG26 can do that . The VG26 can be towed , but it,s program was not to be pulled from the the boat ramp every weekend , it was to live in the water and pulled home in the winter . That is not to say you can't pull it every weekend if you have a big enough truck and a permit . Next option would be the VG23 , cruise with 6 people would not be my description of her abilities , weekend camp cruiser potential would fit . You could scale the VG23 10% length only and get 2 more feet to get more sleeping area . You could ask Jacques if it can be scaled 10% total , the sitting height is 140 cm , not sure how high that is but the extra 14 cm might give you enough room to put a full berth or child's berth in the stern . An extra 10% total would put you close to the same LOA as the VG26 , I would think it would be lighter and easier to tow . The VG20+ would be next on the list , I would not cruise with 6 on it , weekends or short hops maybe .

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I would hard nope on the VG26. The problem is entirely in the “couple cruiser” vs “family camper” area. Anything under 27’ is going to be extremely tight for more than 4 people. This is from the guy that enjoys small living spaces.

If you are looking to build, consider looking at the cruiser plans based on sharpies from the 60s and 70s. BBC has a few in the free plans section. A google search for “plywood cruising sharpie” will get you a bunch more.

The sharpie hull design is simple to build. Provides a stable hull. Supports center/dagger/lee board options with minimal changes. Is beamy enough to allow for a lot of berth layout options. Is simple to tow on bunk trailers.

It would be much cheaper to look for an existing hull though. Something like a Catalina 27 swing keel, or an Aquarius 26 (all cb), or other pocket cruisers.

Good luck.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And if you really want to experience a boat designed fro simple sailing that likely meets your criteria, consider any of the nunsuch boats. Just make sure you get the traditional wishbone boom.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Sleeping 6 in a trailerable sailboat is a bit of a tall order. I like the VG26 but I would not like to trailer one on any kind of regular basis... Would need an oversize permit and you are going to run up against a limit in terms of the size of rig that can be realistically raised and lowered each time you use the boat. But if you were willing/able to deal with that, then you might be able to fit 6 berths if you made a folding/convertible galley so that the settee on that side could be made long enough to serve as a berth. I don't think the VG23 would work even if you stretched it as was suggested.

You might be able to cram 6 people into a Barros Pantanal 25 but it would be pretty crowded. But it is foam sandwich construction rather than wood, so the materials cost will be higher.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It can be done, but it's going to be tight. Our family of five slept in/on our open 24' sailboat, but it was usually just a Saturday night, and it was one couple with three kids. My dad rigged up plywood platforms to fill the space between the seat and the centerboard to make a big space to roll out sleeping bags. If you don't mind roughing it, then six could sleep on a small boat, but it would get old fast.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I mean you can sleep anywhere if you are tired enough. I think the problem is the word “cruiser”. That typically implies a bit of comfort and convenience.

I hate to suggest them, but the McGregor line tends to be accommodating but are not ideal sailing vessels. It really depends on if you are a sailing purist or not.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I also think cruiser is the issue here , to me that is longer term with some comfort , or no real discomfort , which 6 people would be . A camp cruiser is another matter , it is to get you to the swimming hole and out of the rain . I think the VG 23 would be a good option + 10% with a boom tent , and the weight might still be in range to tow it . The VG26 would be a better family boat in this case if didn't have to be trailerable .

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Any of the s&g builds will be lighter than a pure FG hull. The bigger problem is beam and height on trailer.

My dream “camper” for 2 in my area is a ck17 with a tent between the masts. A simple stacked hammock for cool sleeping with bug netting all covered by a tarp fly. Aft section will provide seating for mast mounted table with transom mounted cook surface. Still working out head but likely to be my favorite (5gal bucket and cat litter) at the bow. Mrs is “theoretical on board” which means it is still a dream.

So the question is, how can you make it fit 6?

😁

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:59 pm
So the question is, how can you make it fit 6?

😁
Easy.... Stack more hammocks up between the masts and add a ladder........