Garvey 13 (GV13) + 5-7%

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Garvey 13 (GV13) + 5-7%

Post by changeat44 »

I bought the plans for this design.

I would like to use it as a roomy and comfortable daycruiser for two or three adults and a 22 kg dog, no need for planning speeds.
Bimini, cooler, romantic bench aft, onboard bbq, that kind of stuff.

I don't have an outboard yet, but I'm intending to keep the hp low, like max. 20 hp.

I know about the other Garvey style designs and sizes, but this one speaks the most for me.

I rather would like it to be a little bit larger, because this will be my only build and I do have limited storage but I want the max out of this design.
Storage length is about 19 ft/5.90 m maximum (that's for boat, outboard and trailer).

How much can I increase the design without any problems?
I was thinking about 5 -7% increase all directions and for extra stiffness a gunwale. (just curious, what about maximum 10 % all directions?)

I'm aware I need extra sheets of ply and more glass/epoxy, I'm okay with that.

Thanks for your help, looking forward for an answer.
Daniel

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Garvey 13 (GV13) + 5-7%

Post by cracked_ribs »

I'd guess 10% would be within reason. For sure I think you could stretch her 10% without any difficulty at all.

Although I think if you start adding much in terms of gunwales etc, pretty quickly you'll hit a point where the tradeoff between it and a minimalist build of a GV15 would be about the same on materials. The 15 has a way bigger BOM but I would bet that's because it's designed with a sole and a console etc. The hull, built like a 13, probably isn't that much more materials-intensive. Just a guess, I don't have either plan. But I know from building other stuff that it's really shocking how rapidly interior structure eats wood and resin.

Anyway just my thoughts on it.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Hi,

Up to 10% increase is OK. Scale all dimensions by SAME percentage.

It is much easier to buy the metric plans and a metric tape measure because 1234mm x 1.1 is a lot faster to do the math for than 4'-5 3/8" x 1.1.

Yes, you could consider the GV15 as well.

Gunwhales are required for both versions anyway.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

Thanks Evan and cracked_ribs for your quick response!

The GV15 is also one I thought about, a very nice boat! Less freeboard then the GV13 and longer, although I could scaled that one down.

I'm glad I got a green light for the larger GV13, and got it from the designer! Thanks Evan, you gave me a big smile!

I will start a new build topic when I'm ready for it.
First I make a model to see how everything will work out, I will keep you guys informed.

Thanks
Daniel

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you have no need for planing speeds a 9.9 HP motor will be fine for you as a displacement speed motor and save you money. A 20HP would still get you on plane.

Just some thoughts for you to think about.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:57 pm If you have no need for planing speeds a 9.9 HP motor will be fine for you as a displacement speed motor and save you money. A 20HP would still get you on plane.

Just some thoughts for you to think about.

Tom
Thanks Tom,

I will finish the boat first and try different engines before I buy one.
I do like the 9.9 HP Yamaha hightrust engines for displacement speed.
I would like to plane occasionally if possible, but it's not a goal.
We'll see...

Daniel