C17 -10%

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Andy2000

C17 -10%

Post by Andy2000 »

I would like to know if a 10 % scaled down version of the C17 is possible without loss of the capability of self bailing?

I like the design but I don't have more room (16 feet)
I know there are other designs (OD16), but for know I'm interested in the possibilities of this design.

Thanks for your help.
Andy

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: C17 -10%

Post by TomW1 »

Andy by reducing the C17 by 10% you will be reducing the capability by about 33%. You reduce all dimensions by 10% not just the length. So your boat will be 15' 3 5/16" x 7' 2 3/8" Buy the metric plans much easier to reduce the size by. Self bailing would go away as deck would be lower. Many have built this boat out side in a tent. Where are you in NC, I am up in the mountains. If you are on the coast you should have only a couple of months when you could not work on it in a tent outside. with fast epoxy and move to slow in the summer.

I don't know what you want to use your boat for or how many people you want to carry in it. If you supply that we may be able to supply an alternate to the C17 for you in 16' range.

Well good luck and hope this helps.

Tom.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I would not recommend a scaling of the C17 myself. I'm building one, it's a big boat but the cabin and other features would not work well scaled down. The FS17 has been scaled down 5%, and you could also scale the OB15 up a little instead.

I am building mine in a polytunnel outside. This keeps most of the rain and sun off. I did need to buy a decent tarpaulin to go over the top.

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

I had the same thoughts about scaling this one down.
It's a nice design.

Daniel