GT 23 hull questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

GT 23 hull questions

Post by jbo_c »

As seen on another thread, I’m considering taking over an incomplete GT23 project. That hull is not really what I was looking for originally, but it is tempting. So I have a few questions - mostly for Jacques, I guess.

1. The “houseboat” hull: According to the study plans, the difference is in the forward volume and the transoms are the same. So the houseboat hull is also what we’d refer to as a “planing hull”? Or maybe as a whole, the design is more semi-planing?

2. Along those same lines, Jacques notes that a 25hp would be perfect. That still confuses me if the hull is a planing hull. How is that? Is this statement true for both versions of the hull?

3. This one may be harder to answer. My intent was to have the cabin more aft. Since this is the ‘performance’ hull, I’m thinking my aft cabin would actually be the better way to do it anyway. Is that right? How do I make sure the weight distribution is “correct”? Looks like my I intended cabin will be lighter(smaller) than what’s on the plans, but probably not a lot as I really don’t have any plans to make it out of foam.

One of my biggest ‘concerns’ is that my intent has always been for very low power - 10hp or less. Don’t want to invest a lot of time and money in this only to wish I’d stuck with my original thoughts. (I know I’m the only one that can make that call.

Jbo

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GT 23 hull questions

Post by Dougster »

As I recall the planing hull was trimmed too low in the bow for some builder or builders. That's a pita as rain won't drain out the stern, etc. The displacement hull, with more volume forward won't have that tendency, and for low power seems like the one of choice for sure. It's the one I'd go with fwiw.

Dougster

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I remember it like you Dougster, though I can’t find the posts. I had thought maybe I could find what others have done for remedy.

But the thing here is that I don’t have a choice, the hull is already assembled.

Jbo

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Then it's a matter of trim and moving weight toward the stern of course, which you are considering now. Nothing beats getting the hull in the water though.

Dougster

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Was it the frame sole hight or an actual change in the hull shape?

If the former it shouldn’t be difficult to raise the sole supports back to the desired location.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Not sure I understand the question, Jaysen.

Jbo

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I was kind of poking at this statement.
Dougster wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:32 am As I recall the planing hull was trimmed too low in the bow for some builder or builders. That's a pita as rain won't drain out the stern, etc.
If the drainage problem is created by the sole (floor) being in the wrong position, it is possible to change the sole height. I’m certain there is someone smarter than me that will provide more insight.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo I think I would pass on this one. With the planing hull you will need the higher HP motor Jacques suggests. A planing boat always requires more HP to move it. As Jacques says the 25 is good for 6-10 mph. Not something you want I believe.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:45 pm Was it the frame sole hight or an actual change in the hull shape?

If the former it shouldn’t be difficult to raise the sole supports back to the desired location.
It was a change in the hull shape. Moving the cabin aft should fix that. Raising the sole would not.

My plan was to keep the weight as far back as I could. With a folding bow transom, the bow becomes your entry point. With minimal framing in the front and the use of beanbag chairs and and aft cabin, I think it would work but get Jacques input!!!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you want to move the cabin back definitely get Jacques input. :D As this the planing hull it is more sensitive to weight changes You will probably need to add weight forward. Maybe something like lead ballast.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978