GV10 Questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
SuperTech
New Poster
New Poster

GV10 Questions

Post by SuperTech »

I’m interested in building a boat after several years being “boatless”. Most of my boating history had to do with sailboats but I’m finding the rigging at the ramp getting harder and harder as I’ve aged so I’m thinking of returning to powerboats. When I was 15, I built an 8’ pram that I powered with a ’56 3HP Johnson Seahorse I’d inherited from my Grandfather (still have that engine). Had a ton of fun with that little boat. Also had experience with my Dad’s 15HP Evinrude. So I’ve been looking at boats in the 14’-15’ range like the FS14 and Bolger’s 15’ Diablo but space and building assistance considerations are making me look at something a bit smaller and more easily built by one person. That brings me to the GV10 Fast Garvey. Here are a few questions:

1) The max HP is spec’d at 10HP. What power have GV10 builders here used and recommend?

2) Does anyone glass the interior as well as the outside of the hull? Maybe just the floor for abrasion protection?

3) What kind of paints are recommended for Primer and Color coats?

4) What’s the best way to add traction to the floor coating?

5) Comments on the differences between the MarineEpoxy vs. System Three SilverTip?

6) The two epoxy kits listed components list Resin Kit & Biaxial Tape but no cloth. I’m presuming we glass at least the exterior, so that would be an added expense for the cloth material, yes?

7) I’d be wanting to trailer the boat. Any builders recommend a particular brand/model? I’ve got limited space. Any experience with folding tongue trailers?

Thanks for any comments.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GV10 Questions

Post by Dougster »

1. Don't know about this
2. Many of us do use light glass inside everywhere. I use heavy glass on the sole for abrasion resistance and light stuff on the sides
3. This is a huge question. There is a pretty big consensus on S3 for primer though. It's all I ever used on 4 builds. Easy to apply and everything seems to stick to it. Comes down to $$ to spend. Best is 2 part poly. Also most finicky. Top of the line is EMC at BBC. I loved it but a few have had problems. The two part can last for many years. One part poly, I dunno, but probably a bit less. Enamel, latex, all much cheaper and small boats are easier to re-paint in three or four years. No easy answers as it's all personal choice.
4. I like kiwigrip
5. Marinepoxy is cheaper and works great. Silvertip is premium and a bit nicer to use for laminating. If $$ is tight use Marinepoxy for everything and never look back. Works just fine. Silvertip is a nice little luxury for laminating. Wets out a bit easier, is a bit stronger. Nice for inexperienced laminators, not necessary. I used it for all my big laminations and would again.
6. Yes, but not a big deal
7. I used McClain for the SK14 I think. Been fine. Not to knowledgeable about trailers.

Dougster

SuperTech
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SuperTech »

Dougster, Thanks for responding, it's a big help!

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Sorry been busy at my day job.

1) Depends on your load. 2 larger adults with 1 or 2 kids - use a 15 HP. I used a 15 on it and it was fine.
2) A single layer of double bias biaxial is recommended for higher speeds. Just on the bottom, inside and out. Not on the sides, though light cloth (4-6 oz). But it is more for abrasion protection than required if you use good tropical plywood.
3) See above. I've always painted my dinghies with hardware store "porch paint". It's designed to be pretty durable and not scrape easily. Not super high gloss.
4) Or add non skid particles to your paint. Sherwin Williams has a nice line of this called "Shark Grip". Fine white polymer particles. Apply paint, sprinkle heavily with salt shaker, apply 2nd coat to seal.
5) Either will work. S3 Silvertip is a premium product and is perhaps better suited to the larger boats.
6) I can provide areas of biaxial cloth you will need for the bottom and optionally the sides. Yes you'll probably need to order these separately.
7) It's also light enough to car top if you have a decent wide rack and 2 adults to lift it.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Rammer
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rammer »

1) The max HP is spec’d at 10HP. What power have GV10 builders here used and recommend?

I scoured the site while building mine, seems most ended up with 9.9s or 15s. One 20 that I know of, plus mine. I chose a 20hp Tohatsu because it weighs LESS than their 9.9 and 15, since it is built on the same block and bored out. It was also all that was available (2021 shortages, ugh...)

I am still breaking in the motor and adjusting weight distribution. Once on plane (which is almost instantly with the 20hp), I currently level out and am super comfortable up to about 22-25mph. I havent brought extra underwear on any of the trips yet, so I havent pushed it past that. Maybe some day when no ones watching. I have the motor trimmmed all the way in at the moment, and like I said Im still working out some battery placement and other trim type stuff.

The hole shot was a bit spooky at first as it felt like I was going to take water over the stern, but I think it was all in my head as watching video has made me look incorrect. It had noticible bow rise, however I have since removed the 50lb battery at the stern at made other adjustments.

Next test will not be for a bit as I have a broken foot.

2) Does anyone glass the interior as well as the outside of the hull? Maybe just the floor for abrasion protection?

I did. 12oz biax on the entire outside of hull, 5 layers total at keel and chine (tape, plus overlaps from glassing the hull). Probably 8 layers on the transom joints and the bow as well, not really planned just the way it worked out lol. The inside of the hull is glassed as well, mostly woven that I had left over. The seats and stiffeners are built out and glassed as well.

3) What kind of paints are recommended for Primer and Color coats?

I used Rustoleum Topside. Happy as can be. Primer was total boat something or another. Total protect maybe, cant remember.

4) What’s the best way to add traction to the floor coating?

Shark Grip, I cracked open a 15 dollar can of Rustoleum then dumped in "about the right amount", then added a little more and went to town. It's non-skidded entirely but its not ugly nor too abrasive. I like it, it cuts down on the glare and hides my fk ups :)

5) Comments on the differences between the MarineEpoxy vs. System Three SilverTip?

I used West System. I used Marine Epoxy and Sys. 3 Laminating resin on a previous build. I preferred the West System vs MarineEpoxy, and the Sys. 3 over both for wetting out glass. I don't know if its worth the extra cost to be honest, but I did like using it.

6) The two epoxy kits listed components list Resin Kit & Biaxial Tape but no cloth. I’m presuming we glass at least the exterior, so that would be an added expense for the cloth material, yes?

Yes. Youll use more than whats in the kit. I almost garauntee it.

7) I’d be wanting to trailer the boat. Any builders recommend a particular brand/model? I’ve got limited space. Any experience with folding tongue trailers?

I use an aluminum one up Jet Ski trailer, works perfect. No experience with folding tongues.

Working om getting some pics up...
Last edited by Rammer on Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rammer
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rammer »

SuperTech
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SuperTech »

Rammer, thanks for the reply. Exactly the kind of detail I'm looking for - very helpful!