I'd sure appreciate some plan selection help!

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

I'd sure appreciate some plan selection help!

Post by anonymous »

After several days of searching the web, I've stumbled across this site. I must say, I like the plans, and the "community" seems top notch!
Anyhow, I'm looking at building a new boat, but need a little guidance in plan selection.
I'd like to wind up with a family boat that will mostly be used for waterskiing (recreational only), sunbathing, camping, and even a little fishing! IMO, the "perfect boat" is an '82 16ft Glastron, Vhull bowrider, with Johnson 115 OB. (actually it could've used a little more power.) That's the boat that I grew up with, and it did everything we ever needed it to, and survived two teenage boys. I now have two boys of my own, and they're old enough to learn about the pleasures and frustrations of boating!
I live in Idaho, so this boat will be used on lakes and flat water rivers only.

I love the look of the Mangusta, but I'm wishing it was about 16-18'. I understand that I can scale the plans back, and am good with that. I'd like to stick with outboard power, as the ability to beach the boat is kind of a must, (as well as the additional space in the cockpit) but I have no desire for twin outboards. I'd like to stick in the 110-150ish HP range. Would the boat perform well with this power plant?

Building and fabrication don't intimidate me, as I've built houses, cars, furniture, trailers, etc. I have a full compliment of tools for wood, steel and aluminum. I also own and operate a spray-on pickup bedliner business, and see lots of applications for my product on a boat.

I hope I've covered everything.
Thanks in advance.
-MatB

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

The OC17 sounds like it'd meet your needs pretty well! IMHO
Building the FL14

Copro
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Copro »

Where in Idaho? I am in Twin Falls, and jumped right in. I am building a P21 that is coming right along. You are more than welcome to come by and see what you are getting into.

Jody

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

I like the OC17 suggestion. How about considering the GV17, too? It has a bowrider option if that's an important feature.

Not many of Jacques' customers talk about skiing. I wonder how that affects his power recommendations?

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

I'm pretty sure that JimW skis with his C19 (along with the CX19 also seem pretty close to being a good fit), but I'm sure he'll chime in on this soon enough! ;)
Building the FL14

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

OB17?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Copro-
UMMM.... yup, Twin Falls 8) I have the Bedliner Shop on west Addison.
I'd love to hook up with you sometime.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. One of the things that I really like about the Mangusta or maybe the Phantom series is the lower lines. I guess it's what you'd call freeboard? I had looked long and hard at the OB17 too, but like the more sleek look of the lower lines.

Copro
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Copro »

I'll stop by your shop next week sometime. Are you open and around normal hours?

Jody

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

Dane_Ger wrote:I'm pretty sure that JimW skis with his C19 (along with the CX19 also seem pretty close to being a good fit), but I'm sure he'll chime in on this soon enough! ;)
Chime, chime, .... honestly I was thinking as "our boss" was, the OB17. A mini - c19 with an Idaho lake shear line.
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Copro wrote:I'll stop by your shop next week sometime. Are you open and around normal hours?

Jody
Yep-8-5 M-F! Look forward to it.