Inboard Engines on Pangas

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Luis Reis
New Poster
New Poster

Inboard Engines on Pangas

Post by Luis Reis »

I´d like to know if there´s any option to have inboard engines on Panga 20ft? Would that require a Plan revision? If yes, How much would it cost?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Not for the 20.
We are thinking of designing a larger Panga for inboards, aroudn 28'.
Joel wants one.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

jacquesmm wrote:
Joel wants one.
:D

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Would that be a full keel with a protected wheel and rudder so it can be beached?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AdamG »

A panga with a closed skeg to cover the prop? That would be cool, though the turn radius would be pretty huge.
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Shine wrote:
jacquesmm wrote:
Joel wants one.
:D
So the secret of getting the design we want is to get Joel to want it too, eh...?! Gotta work on that.... :lol:
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

The one Im thinking of would be like a panga or "pangish", 8'6" beam 27' to 28' long - It would be something similar to the Dorado 30 or the Angler 26' (which is the same idea as a panga with different style lines).

Time, space, and money....... those are the ONLY things keeping me from starting today! :D

Joel

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

Dorado 30 is a cool boat, somewhat of a classic over here. I like their 23' a lot too!! just an old 222 with a closed transom and a hair wider(I think). Those style (23') are EXTREMELY popular over here on the West coast. Start pushing $100,000 fully done up, and all (Shaeffer, Gauze, and Dorado(usually) have some massive waiting list.

Went to the "factory" during their bankruptcy, it was a pretty cool operation.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Old E. wrote:Dorado 30 is a cool boat, somewhat of a classic over here. I like their 23' a lot too!! just an old 222 with a closed transom and a hair wider(I think). Those style (23') are EXTREMELY popular over here on the West coast. Start pushing $100,000 fully done up, and all (Shaeffer, Gauze, and Dorado(usually) have some massive waiting list.

Went to the "factory" during their bankruptcy, it was a pretty cool operation.
The boat I want is something in in the middle of the Gause 26 and the Dorado 30, I would want a little more v carried to the transom. Those boats are basically flat at the transom. The super super fine entry of the 30' Dorado is a little much for me also.

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

One of the important features of some of this style of boat, in my opinion, is the beam. The pangas are just too narrow for me. The amount of room you get from an 8-9' beam is tremendous.

I also agree that the minor amount of deadrise is an important feature (once again, my opinion). They fish rather shallow, but are still capable offshore.

Gauzes are beautiful, but...$$$$$$$

Unfortunately none of these "semi-customs" will be at the Miami boat show. They just don't need the advertising/business, according to them. They are already deep in back orders.