Mahogany ply - in Guam

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

Mahogany ply - in Guam

Post by anonymous »

I have definitely read the posts on use of non-marine ply, BUT I'm living in Guam. I've built a couple of Spira's framed boats before, but never a stich and glue. I'm ready for the next big project - my perfect boat would be the DE23. There is American made Marine ply on the island (haven't looked at it, very expensive) but only in 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4". Too heavy for the designs here. However, we are located close to most of the plywood production in Asia. What I can get reasonably here, is Exterior Mahogany ply. Malaysian. Looks very good, I've looked at a dozen pallets of all sizes. No gaps on the edges. What I do see is instead of gaps they will sometimes "overlap" some interior plies and compress them together. so my questions:

Could I use this for a DE 23, which is 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2"? Would something like the panga 25 which uses thicker ply be less sensitive to use of non "marine" ply, although it uses heavier motor? Will Bateau ship ply or pre-cut kits to Guam USA? Sorry for bringing up this issue again, but I am a long way from the mainland...Thanks. BTW, the mahogany ply and mahogany lumber that I can get here would be perfectly suitable for the heavier types of boats I have built in the past, but the DE23 would be perfect for my family!