Quick Fair

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Quick Fair

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I am currently fairing my XF20. I filled in the voids and low spots with epoxy and wood flour/cabosil. I have just started using quick fair now that rough stuff is mostly behind me. What is the maximum depth of a low spot that I can fill with this product? Yes, I know its expensive but after using it for the first time this morning Im not going back to epoxy wood flour for fairing unless I absolutely have to. Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Quick Fair

Post by Deedaddy »

Aripeka Angler wrote:I am currently fairing my XF20. I filled in the voids and low spots with epoxy and wood flour/cabosil. I have just started using quick fair now that rough stuff is mostly behind me. What is the maximum depth of a low spot that I can fill with this product? Yes, I know its expensive but after using it for the first time this morning Im not going back to epoxy wood flour for fairing unless I absolutely have to. Richard
You can fill at less 1/4'" at a time and more in layers.

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

You don't want to use wood flour for a fairing mixing. Microspheres and a touch of silica is much easier and a common fairing mix before products like QuikFair.

QuikFair is a nice product and very easy to use. For larger areas, I still mix my own because I can control the consistency of the resulting mix better than with QuickFair.

Definitely apply it in layers for deeper applications.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Oh Richard, fairing with wood flour, uck! :cry: I feel for you. Used to before microballoons and now QF. I just use a 12" dry wall spreader on QF start on stern an apply on angle with moderate pressure apply each batch one side at a time. Whip trowel off with white vinegar between batches or acetone.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Tom maybe fairing isnt the word I am looking for. Maybe scratch coat is the word. I read a post by Joel that said fill the weave with a coat of epoxy and wood flour mix. After I finished doing that I sanded the crap off and began to level off the bottom with a mixture of cab-o-sil and wood flour. I began experimenting with phenolic mix and cab-o-cil. Then I switched to Quick Fair. Holy cow a great product. I was just concerned that the coat I was putting on was too thick. Dee Daddy thanks....Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146