Murry's gf16

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Murry's gf16

Post by Murry »

It's official :D I've started my gf.
I picked up my wood Friday afternoon from Wanchese, N.C.. Saturday I was able to cut and laminate my side panels and cut out my transoms and seat frames.

More pictures and progress to follow.

Daniel

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

8) The fun begins!

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

All right another build to follow. Have fun! :D

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Welcome in the GF-Club :D

:wink:
Bernd

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

I second the welcome to the '"GF" club from bernd. I am trying to get mine finished, but everytime I get going something goes crazy with my body and I have to take a break. I hope to do the final seal on the bottom this next couple of weeks and then go from there. Welcome to the club, jump on in and ponder awhile and build awhile.

Keep on Buildin'

Robbie

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Well, I made my first mistake last night. I had a couple of spare minutes so I decided to precoat the frame locations on the side panels so that I could put the frames and side panels together tonight.

As I was about to drift off to sleep I realized that I marked and precoated the wrong side of one of the panels. (Two left sides won't work) :? Silly mistake. Oh well, One thing I've learned so far, there is always something else to work on.

I'll cut and splice the bottom panel instead tonight.

Stay tuned, I'm sure this newbie will be needing some advice soon.
Thanks,
Daniel

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Daniel, don't hurry - take your build step by step...... :lol:

If I look back to my first steps I carefully build one piece after one......but with the time you build faster as at the begin.

Make a checklist for all hardware you want to install in future - it saves a lot of time in further building.

My GF has at the moment about 35 backing plates for some hardware like clamps, rod holder, lights inside the box and outside, holder for a fishing umbrella, fishfinder, transductor, bow eye, battery holder........

After you made your side panels and your transoms and frames I highly recommend to build a jig which is on level and flat
.....on this jig I would mount my frames and then dry fit the transoms.

Please check then your boat for symetry /diagonal - don't glue the side panels to the transoms before this - I didn't - and it ended with a small error in symetry -but this error follows you through the whole build...I can tell you.... :doh:

Keep on building

Bye
Bernd

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Thanks for the backing plate tip Bernd.

I am planning to dry assemble all frames and transoms without a jig. 8O
I know this is against all advice that I have recieved concerning the gf bottom. Advice wich I have come to respect and appreciate but I have a theory/idea that I think will work without spending the money on jig
materials. My building area is a bit cramped as well.

I will explain through pictures in the near future, but I will not make anything permanent without getting the stamp of approval from you guys. :)

We all know that I'll probably have a jig built before this weekend, but you never know. I might be able to put that jig money towards Sterling paint instead. :D

Thanks for the tips Bernd,
Daniel

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Daniel,

nothing expensive in a jig -just a panel flat and on level - or without if you have a floor on level in your garage.....

Bye
Bernd

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Hello Murry,

If the plans specify a jig... build a jig. There are all sorts of ways to measure costs. The designers take great pains to develop not only the designs, but the building method(s) to minimize costs measured in many ways. The cost of the jig, like the cost of the core plywood, is ultimately negligible compared to time and other materials invested by the end of the project.

Use good wood, and if the plans specify a jig, use a jig. :)

And welcome to the group. :D