Ollie's CX25 (Modified)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OllieK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ollie's CX25 (Modified)

Post by OllieK »

Well, here goes nothing! After sitting on the plans for a few weeks, and reading them till they were at risk of falling apart, I started drawing out some of the plans onto ply.

I made a start late Dec, but due to a number of personal reasons the progress was delayed some what until the last week or so.

I had already managed to mark out the 3 x sheets for the transom, station A and station I. I started on these as they fit onto full sheets, and will go on to use them as the frames (I hope this is correct) All the other stations will be drawn onto and cut from chipboard (you guys call partical board, right?) I had already cut out the 3 x transom and station A, so this weekend I spent a couple of hours with my son (who is nearly 5) as he is soooo keen to help!

I am making some quite drastic modifications to the boats overall look, it was good to know that these modifications got the thumbs up from Jacques, and he has offered to help with a couple of drawings once the hull is built and flipped over! Below is a rendering of how I hope she will look when finished, working name is "Five O'Clock Somewhere"

Transom drawn out

Marked out with string so I could see the shape before i marked the cambers in

And the first piece cut!

Robs, my helper was more interested in his nintendo !

Station / Frame I cut and Robs looking a little more helpful!

I also managed to get some heat into the building this weekend, so got the chance to laminate the 3 x transom pieces. Hopefuly the weather will hold as I dont know how much longer I can keep the heat on down there!

A good start I hope. Its a mid term break this week for my son, so I am taking 2 full days off work later in the week. I hope he stays enthusiastic enough to put in a couple of 8-10 hour days with his Dad!

Ollie

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Good luck on your build Ollie! maybe you can learn from my mistakes :wink:

OllieK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OllieK »

peter-curacao wrote:Good luck on your build Ollie! maybe you can learn from my mistakes :wink:
Peter, many thanks. Your build has been to me, as I am sure others, an inspiration to go out there and do it!

Didn't mention it above, but I am building using marine grade ply to BS 1088 from Montague L Mayer. All there ply come in a minimum of BB quality that meets the 1088 standard, or B quality that exceeds the 1088 standard, I have gone for the B standard and must say it is great stuff! We have a bussines account with a local hardware and timber yard, and they gave me a GREAT price on it. All I will say is that they aren't making a lot on it! For the epoxy, I will be using "West System" it is quite widely available here in the UK, and I have a dealer just down the road from me. I rang a number of dealers to get the best price and the local guy came back and beat the best price which was from a guy 150 miles away! At least with him being just down the road I can save on shipping costs!

I had planned on using Awlgrip paint products. I know a couple of guys down in Madeira who have used this on there boats with outstanding results.

Ollie

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Great start Ollie!

By the way, the tower configuration you ended up with looks perfect.

Good Luck,
Daniel

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Great start Ollie welcome to the group and glad to see the pictures. Awlgrip is a very good paint and you should be pleased with it. West system epoxy's are okay just be sure and make the mixes exactly as called for. They require 4:1 and are not very forgiving. Just be precise and you'll be fine, no problem. Others have used them and built great boats.

Tom

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

I can't wait to watch this boat develop. Her lines are achingly sexy, and should be quite the standout in the UK.

I used to use WEST products, they have their perks and their quirks. Make sure you don't let the amine blush get the best of you, and their manual on using their own products from Gougeon is well worth having.

Can't wait to hear you shout bollocks the first time something goes sideways, that will make it all the more rewarding when you are done and its perfect.

E

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Love the look of that rendering. Very excited to follow this build. The CX25 is something that I want to build in a couple years when the time is right.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Ollie to be sure take a look here please http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?t=18619

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, check that: it's 5 layers for the transom.
From the building notes.
[quote]Note that the full transom is made of the transom 1-1/2â€
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Ollie,

have fun with building, and enjoy it. I'm happy to see that a further European boat building project is in progress.

BTW, have you got + temperatures outside? Here in Germany you have no chance to heat up the garage without a good insulation - at the moment it is too cold.

Bye
Bernd

(location ......right hand...Stuttgart...where the best cars of the world are designed)