Southeastern Boat Builders Meet April 24-26, 2009

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
smilinmatt
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Southeastern Boat Builders Meet April 24-26, 2009

Post by smilinmatt »

I got some great shots of the OB-19 on the water. I also took some video of a big jewfish that was being followed by a swarm of gags. When I got home to download the pictures, I got a "Not Formatted" error on the card. :x

I found a new wreck with the side scan machine. We were heading out to an artificial reef, but when we got about a mile away, we saw it was covered in boats. We slowed up and while we were looking for another spot nearby, the side scan showed something off the port side. It turns out the something was a 100' long steel ship that was all collapsed except the stern and a section in the center.

It was a nice day on the water. We had our limit of gags within an hour. The rest of the day, we added six hogfish, four snapper, a porgy and a trigger to the cooler. 10-15 knot days seem a lot calmer in the OB-19 than in the GF-12.

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

cedarock wrote:Great pics...it is nice to be able to put a face with the names. The people, boats, and water looked nice!
Yup, my sentiments too - I've just spent the past thirty minutes or so going backwards through this thread, and it's good to see what all my online boat-building friends look like ;)

BTW, there are some really, really good looking boats there, all of them!!

Thanks for posting the photos guys. Maybe one day I will make it to a meeting like this, but it might be a bit difficult to get my boat there!

Best regards,

Tim.

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

smilinmatt wrote:I got some great shots of the OB-19 on the water. I also took some video of a big jewfish that was being followed by a swarm of gags. When I got home to download the pictures, I got a "Not Formatted" error on the card. :x

I found a new wreck with the side scan machine. We were heading out to an artificial reef, but when we got about a mile away, we saw it was covered in boats. We slowed up and while we were looking for another spot nearby, the side scan showed something off the port side. It turns out the something was a 100' long steel ship that was all collapsed except the stern and a section in the center.

It was a nice day on the water. We had our limit of gags within an hour. The rest of the day, we added six hogfish, four snapper, a porgy and a trigger to the cooler. 10-15 knot days seem a lot calmer in the OB-19 than in the GF-12.

You are killing me. :) Congrats on the fishing. I'm gonna have to do the side scan on mine. Very cool technology.

KRE
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by KRE »

Cottontop and I went fishing today, not as good of luck as smilenmatt. We saw a lot of Reds but couldn't coax them into the boat. This boat building club should have a side line fishing club. I found a good fishin partner through it. I enjoy fishing with a guy that know something about boats. We had to talk about boats cause there were no fish in it to talk about! Smilenmatt how about at trip trade, I'll show you where the fish are up here, but you gotta get'em in the boat! :doh:

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Hi all, just got back to Michigan from Florida and the CR meet, we had
such a great time we didn't want to come home. It was by far one of the
best vacations we ever had, I don't know where to begin to thank
everyone for making it such a fantastic time. Janet was worried because
she was calling it MY fishing vacation before we even left, she had
tons of fun fishing with Richard and Sandy in Boca Grande and hasn't
stop talking about it yet. You guy's hit a 100% at the BBQ.
Thanks Joel for taking me out fishing at Crystal River, I thought that
Cobia was going to jump right into the boat,it was huge that is until I
seen the one's you guys brought in the next day! WOW.
Cottontop, there can be no better way to see Crystal River then for the
ride we took with you and Shella in your flawless OD-18 with Kurt
and Martha as our guide.
Larry, ha ha, what can I say that was one hell of a ride through Boca
Grand Pass and the OD handled it with no problem, I was only as nervous
as the Captain in those 6 ft rollers! Brian took us on a fantastic tour
of the area. Are you going back next week???

I have some great pictures and will post the as soon as I get them
loaded.

Joe & Jan
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Joe we had fun fishing with Janet as well. Here she is with a trout. The girls caught a few bigger ones but not with a smile like this...

This is a photo of Larry, Brian and Joe heading out to the pass to look for tarpon...

In the meantime this boat has gone to the birds :lol:

This is a view of the Inlet Motel from the water...

This is a historic lighthouse on the island...

I have a ton of pictures that I accidentally shot in high resolution. It takes a little bit of time reformating them to fit on here.I guess I should blame my poor photos on having too much fun 8)

Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Kurt and I went out in his "FS 17" Saturday. What a great ride. His boat sure is beautiful. I didn't realize how stable a boat could be walking on the gunnels. My next build will have them. He is a very fine fishing host. He overheard me saying I was saving some money to hire a guide at the builders meet and said that wasn't necessary. As he stated in an earlier thread, we could see the fish moving but couldn't really get them to bite. Well that's not exactly true, I did get hooked up to one red but lost him :oops: :D when my line broke right at the knot and I didn't get off the "drag" soon enough. Boy was I embarassed. I will be working on my knots all this week. Am hoping this trip will give me a start on a really fine fishing partner. I'm with Richard on a new sight next year. The place ya'll were at at Boca sure looks fine. Again Shella and I really enjoyed being with everyone at the meet this year.

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Thanks for all the pix'x and updates guys. They're great, and will surely increase next years attendance. 8)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Glad you made it home safe Joe, I really enjoyed spending time and fishing with yall. Too bad you're not closer, the cobia are running here and I could use a good fishing partner. :lol:
Larry, ha ha, what can I say that was one hell of a ride through Boca
Grand Pass and the OD handled it with no problem,
:lol: Yeah she did, that's about the best you can ask from 18 feet of boat :D Even in that big slop with a heavy load she behaved nicely and was perfectly safe. The more I learn her the better I like her.
Thanks for all the pix'x and updates guys. They're great, and will surely increase next years attendance.
We are expecting to see you next year too, and KS :roll: And a few more of you :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

We'll see how the work schedule works out next year. Still serving the public through the work place... :D

I should have a real trailer by then... :lol: