1973 Lobster Boat - Painting!

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
JamieT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

1973 Lobster Boat - Painting!

Post by JamieT »

Great Site, here is my “new” project boat. 23’ 1973 Pogo with a 60hp Isuzu, glass hull, wood floors deck and top.
My first glass/wood project will be to rebuild the engine box. Not only is the old one falling apart it’s LOUD… this boat runs best around 6kts (hull speed?) and planes out around 10 knots at 2800rpm (3200 max). If I understand diesels I can push her for a while at 2400 but the boat just doesn’t sit right at that speed, (just before pushing over her bow wake). ..So it’s slow going and I don’t mind however I would like hear more water and less motor.
-box is currently built out of marine ply ¾” 21h” x 28w” x 54” deep no glass.
I will be adding sound insulation and depending on cost I will go with the 1 or 2 lb foam in either 1” or 1.5” thickness. For these box dimensions the sound insulation will weigh 80 to 110lbs. I am not concerned about weight b/c of boat performance however I don’t want the box to weigh 200lbs… Any help or advice is welcomed.
Thanks
Jamie
Last edited by JamieT on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamieT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1973 Lobster Boat Engine Box Re-build

Post by JamieT »

Sorry way off on my sound insulation weights.
Weight based on box square footage.
1LB foam = 37lbs
2LB foam = 70 lbs

Jamie

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

Is your sound insulation made for that purpose or are you using house foam? Just curious. The marine sound foam is pretty pricey but you only need a small amount. Eventually I will need to insulate the engine box on my nina build so I am interested in your project. Great looking boat BTW. :) Also wondering if you could use 1/2 inch ply with some stiffeners to reduce weight?
Daddy

JamieT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamieT »

Thanks, and yes the foam I have chosen is marine foam from a company called sounddown. Seems to be priced competitively, they have locations in Boston and Ft. Lauderdale.
That’s what I was thinking ½ ply with cloth. I have fixed plenty of surfboards using 4 and 6 oz cloth but nothing thicker. The largest span on the box is 28” x 54” so I don’t know what cloth to buy. Will the glassed 1/2“ turn out to be the same weight as the ¾” ply?
Jamie

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

1/2" will be plenty, we can put a beam in the middle of the top to be extra careful. It will be all ply/glass/epoxy and it will look a lot better with curved joints

HarryH
New Poster
New Poster

Post by HarryH »

I fortuitously found your Pogo here on this forum by doing Web keyword searches.....

I am building a wooden Pogo, your very boat, designed by Frederick W. Bates of Damariscotta in 1969. This is a pretty exciting find for me, because his trail has been lost, at least to me and some others who are interested in his designs....
Here's my build, ongoing: http://picasaweb.google.com/Harrible/PogoConstruction#

What can you tell us about your boat Jamie? Who, what, where and when?...Any more pics? Gripes, joys?
Thanks,
_HarryH

JamieT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamieT »

Harry, awesome, the boat is great i have some original build photos and brochure I will scan and send to you. I will e-mail you my info call me when you have the chance.
Jamie

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

Jamie, isn't that cool :!:

Harry, thanks to the link of your build your doing a great job. Good luck and I will be following along.

Brian

JamieT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamieT »

Hey Brian, yea small world.

HarryH
New Poster
New Poster

Post by HarryH »

Brian, Jamie....thanks for those kind remarks.

Jamie...I have sent you email...I would love to see the brochure and other building stuff...do you mean to send it via scan/email, or snail mail?

On the topic of your engine box, it is good info for me, 'cause MMD of the WB forum told me I would not regret spending $ on engine noise reduction materials. It is fiercely expensive per ft. in comparison to other building materials we are used to, but apparently well worth it....I guess the good news is that you are not trying to enclose massive twin Catepillars or such...

Best,

Harry