Old Kid CR13 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Old Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Old Kid CR13 Build

Post by Old Kid »

Well its been a long time getting to this stage in the build. I am about half way there and not in to much of a hurry to get done. Enjoying the build and learning new tricks, thought i had better post pictures of my build completed so far. If you would like to see my pictures , go to http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1049

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Old Kid CR13 Build

Post by chrisobee »

Old Kid wrote:Well its been a long time getting to this stage in the build. I am about half way there and not in to much of a hurry to get done. Enjoying the build and learning new tricks, thought i had better post pictures of my build completed so far. If you would like to see my pictures , go to http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1049
Outstanding. The world needs more sailboats! Your project looks neater than mine :?

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Thanks for posting your build OldKid. I'm helping a friend build his CR13 and I have to say yours looks a lot neater. I especially like that clamp you made and your daggerboard.

Have you done the rudder? You might want to modify the cheek a bit to put more wood around the pivot point of the blade, glassing it for extra strength is another thing you can do.

Please keep the pictures coming.

Old Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Old Kid »

Thank you guys for your posts. I am retired and have more time than money, so i can take my time and enjoy this boat. Mom keeps me on a short rope and only gives my allowance out for the boat each month. Will finish it sometime next year i hope. Can one of you tell me where to mark the water line on the hull of this CR13 sailboat? I could use drawing or anything would help. Will post more as the build progresses.

Old Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Old Kid »

Time to stop work on my boat,i have to get ready for the mizzou winter. Wife needs the garage for her car. This is my first wooden boat .I need advice for winter storage. The boat is completely epoxyed,sanded and ready for fairing compound on the bottom.I want to wait till spring to paint. Going to use space under my deck that has a roof over it. Boat will be on a cradle and covered with plastic , plus a tarp. Do you think this might work out for storage?

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Probably more than is necessary. If it's completely covered in epoxy and under a roof, it probably doesn't need anything else. Flip it upside down and let her ride. Be careful not to wrap it too snug with all the plastic, Ventillation is important.

Good luck with that winter. It's still 90F every day down here :roll:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Old Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Old Kid »

Thank you Cracker Larry for your advise. I was worried about having the boat warped out of shape come spring, if i had not stored it correctly. I will be watching this Blog all winter for new ideas and maybe add a few of my own. Thanks Alot

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Is the wood on the interior all sealed also? If not, you really don't want trapped moisture in there all winter. I learned the hard way and lost 4 or 5 panels of very good plywood, that started rotting under a tarp on the picnic table. On those dry winter cold days, you could open it up and let it air and dry out well before closing it up again. And I had my CV16 in a two layer tent all one winter, without the red oak sealed. It grew some rot. Cleaned it, acetoned it, and sanded it the following spring, but it was a good lesson (red oak has virtually no rot resistance). The Doug fir, even the unsealed bits, had no rot after one wintering. I then sealed everything that would have a dormant period outside for the winter, and had no other problems.

She's looking good. :)

Old Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Old Kid »

The inside is all covered with epoxy , the bottom is and where it is feather sanded down for fairing. It might be a waste of epoxy, but i am going to put a light coat of epoxy over where i sanded. Better overkill than be sorry later. Will have time all winter to check and air out the boat each day,don't want any problems come spring. I can hardly wait to sail her next summer.