MGuel FL12 Build!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mguel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: MGuel FL12 Build!

Post by mguel »

The motor weighs 49lbs. I haven't had a dream like that...and hope I never will!!! lol. I guess i'll put her on and see how she handles it in a local shallow bay we got here. If she's too heavy, i'll just have to trade her for a smaller engine. But I'm hoping she'll be okay.

slvrlng
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by slvrlng »

Your hull is looking good! I'm thinking of building the same one. How much dollarwise are you into it now?

mguel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mguel »

I would have to say I'm probably in a little over $600 in already. The marine ply alone was about $220. Another $200 for 3 gallon kit of epoxy including fb tape, wood flour, etc. Paint was about $150, not including brushes and rollers. And the hardware I bought online. It helps to shop around for everything. But it's been totally worth it.

Oh, and I also fiberglassed the entire bottom and taped some seams in the boat that weren't required in the plans, so that made me use more material than normal.

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

Slvring if you decide to build any boat you will quickly learn that it isn't cheap by any means. However once you start your build the fun you'll have quickly offsets the cost!

mguel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mguel »

Well I finally am getting at a point to where i'm ready to splash her. I primed and painted after fairing only the edges of the fb tape. If you look closely you can notice some irregularties, but nothing that would bother me much. I installed the hardware, oar sockets, the hinges for the hatch, bow eye, handles on the transom, and a cleat. I found a pair of aluminum oxide oars on ebay for a good price. They are 6.5 feet long. I really wanted 7.5 as per reading a few posts here but I couldn't find them at an affordable price, and I ran really low of my epoxy to make my own. I like the gold color though.

I must say this has been a great build. It was something I never thought I could do. School's starting so my building days are long gone. But fortunately my fishing days are only beginning... I plan on putting her on the water first time Labor Day weekend if the weather permits. I'll be sure to post pics.

Thanks for all your help on here!

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

She looks nice and as long as your happy that is what matters! :D Enjoy all your hard work.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

She's beautiful. Congrats.

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Very nice :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by michaelwpayton »

Great job... enjoy!
"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

she sure did turn out great! quick question for ya. Did you instsall a backing block on the inside of the hull for the bow eye? At first we decided not to install one on ours because we thought we wouldn't need it. But after having it on the road a few times installing one might ease some of my nerves.