OD18 in Arizona..SPLASHED..

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

OD18 in Arizona..SPLASHED..

Post by Larry B »

OK it's official. I just placed the order for the OD18 Plans. Now I can keep my questions here and not mess up CL's topic. I'm sure I'll have lot's of questions even thought CL and Capeman have documented there build in great detail. Maybe, Just Maybe I can add something to it. The bar is set so high right now it's going to take alot of hard work to even come close. This build will take a month or so to really get underway. I just finished my FL14 (I know I'll post photo's) because my shop was a mess building the FL14 and I'm going to build cabinets to TRY and organize my shop first :oops: And of course do some fishing in my FL14.
In the mean time I'll study the plans and ask questions.
Last edited by Larry B on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completed: FL14, OD18

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OD18 in Arizona

Post by Larry B »

Plywood will be here Tuesday the 20th, 20 sheets of BS1088 Hydrotek. Been going over the plans and I WILL have questions. I'll do my best to search for answer's already, but I might repeat some also.
Have to wait a couple of weeks to get the epoxy kit from Bateau. Give me time to get pieces cut. I like to take my time in cutting so thats no problem.

I do have one question for CL right away? I'm planning on cutting my stringers at 6" like you did to raise the sole 1/2", By raising the sole how much bigger did you cut the sole? I was thinking to cut 1/2" larger and then if need be trim it to fit?

Nothing like getting 20 sheets of Marine Plywood 2 days after your 20th Birthday X 3 + 1 :help:

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

It'll be fun to follow your build. It is a cool day, getting the ply. Hard to believe what that pile can turn into. Give us some pics of your shop with cabinets when you're done. I sure need some ideas there, my shop is chaotic. And of course, give us a lot of pics of the build along the way, that adds a lot to the fun of following along. It's showtime.

Got his popcorn Dougster

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I do have one question for CL right away? I'm planning on cutting my stringers at 6" like you did to raise the sole 1/2", By raising the sole how much bigger did you cut the sole? I was thinking to cut 1/2" larger and then if need be trim it to fit?
That's what I did, 1/2" each side of center. Still had some small gappage to fill and nothing to trim. For best accuracy I think I'd go + 1" to each side of center. Or wait until the hull is built and take measurements directly from it. No rush to cut those sole panels right now, you won't be needing them for a long while yet.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Dougster wrote:It'll be fun to follow your build. It is a cool day, getting the ply. Hard to believe what that pile can turn into. Give us some pics of your shop with cabinets when you're done. I sure need some ideas there, my shop is chaotic. And of course, give us a lot of pics of the build along the way, that adds a lot to the fun of following along. It's showtime.

Got his popcorn Dougster
Dougster, I hope you have lots of popcorn, this is going to take along time. I had some things come up and haven't even started on my cabinets yet, but still have to do them first before cutting. (my wife says so)
Cracker Larry wrote:
For best accuracy I think I'd go + 1" to each side of center. Or wait until the hull is built and take measurements directly from it. No rush to cut those sole panels right now, you won't be needing them for a long while yet.
Was thinking about that, and now that you mention it, I think that is exactly what I'll do, WAIT.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Well I believe I'm ready to start building. Had to get my wife a puppy. (My Dog) CL did such a great job with Sam watching over him, I thought what the heck I need a supervisor :D Got my drink of choice and I'm READY. It will be a few weeks before I can order the epoxy kit from Joel, but It's Official I'm on my second build. Look out for lots of questions :?:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Cool dog, what is she? Australian Shepherd? You're gonna need more beer :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Yes Australian Shepherd. 12 weeks old. Got lots more beer, Refridgerator was too heavy to put on the stack of Plywood :lol: Now if he will just stop Pooping on my shop floor :help: An acre of dirt in the back yard, some lawn, and he poops in my shop :doh:

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

An acre of dirt in the back yard, some lawn, and he poops in my shop
Dont ya just love puppies.

I kennel trained both of our dogs they have never gone in the house. Maybe from being sick, but hey what can ya do.

Good looking pup.

What part of Arizona you in?
Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Bowmovement, I'm in Surprise. the far NW of Phoenix. Moved here about 5 years ago from Temecula, Ca. Still have my daughters in Temecula.
Yea, Puppys are great. He's already house broke, but for some reason he really likes my shop floor :doh: He's a smart dog so it won't be long and he will poop out on the lawn :wink: Maybe he's trying to tell me my shop looks like Crap :idea: