Richards gt 27

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Richards gt 27

Post by rcihard »

Have had my plans for a couple of weeks and have started cutting my ply, so I thought I had better start a thread for my build.
Having built the od16 the gt27 is going to be a lot bigger project.
Plan to keep the boat at the local marina, use it as a weekender and cruise around the bays, rivers and harbours here in Albany Western Australia.
Have sold my 0d, gets picked up next week and this will give me some room to start stitching things together!! Shed is about 2.5 metres too short so will have to build an extension to keep everything dry.
Planning on building this the stitch and glue way rather than on a jig, the boat will be operated at displacement speeds only, at this stage considering an etec 25 - 40hp evinrude. I understand that these motors have a lot more torque!! Don't know much more about them so any comments re these initial thoughts about motor selection would be appreciated.

helpers name is Maggie, 6 year old Red Cloud Kelpie (hope the picture posted!).
Anyway will keep posting pictures of the build, hope to launch by December.
Cheers
Richard

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Richards gt 27

Post by peter-curacao »

Cool ! good luck! Image

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Thanks Peter, I hope its more of cutting straight & Glassing light :lol:
Also building the D5 as a tender for the boat.
Richard

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Fantastic, Richard! This project ought to keep you busy for a while! :D What kidn of ply are you using?

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

I'm using bs1088 throughout ,had a bunch of it left over when I was planning to build the DE23 :lol:
Have cut all my stringers, both lots of transoms and some of the frames. Have just come in from glueing the bow transoms together, wasn't easy lining everything up! Not looking forward to glueing the 3 x 13mm ply pieces for the transom, I guess I should have glued the full ply pieces together and then cut the transoms out :doh:
Hope to cut and splice the bottom and hull sides this week and hopefully start stitching stuff together by next Monday.
Its been 3 years since I built the dory and smelling my first mix of epoxy for this boat today brought back some great memories :D
Will hopefully post pix of the stitched hull next week
Richard

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Its been 3 years since I built the dory and smelling my first mix of epoxy for this boat today brought back some great memories
Hey Richard I know the feeling, I launched my OD16 1 day after you launched yours and I started building the P19 a couple of months ago, great to get back into it isn't it! :D

I don't know if I can part with my OD16 as easy as you did, partially because of the economy around here and partially because of sentimental value but we will see as time goes on, did you get a good price for her?

Keep the pics coming.

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

I sold the boat to my sister and her husband, so I am kind of glad that its not going to be totaly out of reach and I was only saying to my wife the other day that it would have been a hell of a rench to sell it to someone else and to have never seen it again :cry: :(
Did the deal for $7,500, it cost me just over $9k, all up, to build her so I was pretty happy with the result. We had nearly 3 years of great fun in the dory and still have the chance of future access, which is fantastic :D

Thrilled about building the gt27, but there is a hell of a lot more cutting, glueing, sheathing (& fairing & sanding:cry: :cry: ) compared to the dory, this project is going to take a long time but hope to be finished by summer.

How's the p19 coming along, cant remember seeing anything on the forum about her? Have you posted any pictures?
Cheers
Richard

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

How's the p19 coming along, cant remember seeing anything on the forum about her? Have you posted any pictures?
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1061

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if this will work but if not it's here "Joe's P19"

Glad to hear you were able to keep the OD16 close to home.

Joe H

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Joe, that boat looks huge. Looking at your glass work (looks great) reminds me that I will take more time to give the gt27 a better finish than the dory :lol:
I didn't spend a lot of time fairing the dory but she still ended up looking pretty good.
If I remember correctly you have the advantage of mooring your boat near your house, is that the plan for the new build?
Are you planning on keeping the dory?
I will keep watch on the build from now on, don't know why I hadn't noticed it before :doh:
Richard

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Thanks Richard, wait until you get the hull done on that beast your building then we will see huge!

I don't have any plans to sell the OD16 at this time but one never knows, I might have to sell it to help offset the cost of an outboard for the P19 but I hope not.
I seem a lot more confidant with this build and things seem to be easier, but bigger means more work and more $$$ to get her right.

I'm lucky enough to live on a canal that leads out to the Great Lakes and the P19 will be moored right in the back yard eventually, not this spring but next for sure.

I hope you get your dimensions worked out and post lot of pictures please.

Joe H

BTW: I changed my call name from mays-n-haynes to Joe H when I started on the P19, that might have thrown you off.