Richards gt 27

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Richards gt 27

Post by rcihard »

Got the dimensions worked out ok, just took a bit of tooing & throwing over the net.
The plans seem to be missing bits and pieces of info, looking at the history of the plans development I can see why there are a few holes but if Jacques dosen't mind answering questions then I don't mind asking :lol:
I agree with you about building the second time around, things do seem a lot easier, but the work load is huge and the $$$ are a lot more. That was one of the reasons to sell the dory, the money will help offset some costs. I think that total ply and epoxy gear is going to be about $6.5K (aus)( I got a great deal on my marine ply i.e. bs 1088 meranti 12mm at $62.00 sheet, which is a fantastic price for over here :D )
Noticed the name change when I went back and looked at your dory.
Anyway its 8 am here so I'm off down to the shed to see how the bow transom glueing turned out!
Richard

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Have now cut out all the ply to stitch the hull together, still have a couple of stations to go and a bit of panel splicing, but sofar look to be on schedule to start stitching the hull next week.
Noticed that previous GT23 and one or two Gt27 builders built their hulls on the jig system, I plan to build the stitch & glue way i.e. flat on the floor. This will involve one additional roll over for the hull but I plan this as a displacement boat not planing.
Was wondering why previous builders chose the jig system :?: Was this to avoid the extra hull rollover or because they might have been building for planing purposes or are there other issues about the S&G method that I am not aware of:?:
Will post some pics next week
Richard

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Plans arrived yesterday for the D5, so thought I would start knocking it together. Did not take long to cut out all the pieces, bit of a fiddle trying to stitch her up but with a lot of swearing and a few (quite a few) beers she came into shape (well close enough).
Brother in law turned up to give me a hand, he's buying the dory & we went and checked out his new motor. He's trading the Suzuki 30 for an Evinrude 30 etec pt&t, plus adding rails, deck pump, nav lights, and a whole lot of other stuff :!:
Now I can move the dory out of the shed, build on the extension to the shed and start working on the hull :)
Richard

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

Looks good Richard
Daddy

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

boat looks great.

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Thanks guys, taped inside seems yesterday, will flip her over and start on the bum today. Mucking around doing fillets and tape on the D5 made me think about the size of the gt27 (started to get a little scary :!: ) theres 634metres of biaxial tape alone in the build, quite a lot of them are 3 layers, and run up to 6-7 metres in length (i am going to have to build a bigger glassing box :help: )
Had my 53rd birthday on saturday and felt very tired after taping the d5, I just hope i have the stamina for the big build :!: :)
Richard

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Hey Richard Happy Birthday, I'll be 53 in April, isn't 53 the new 40? :lol:
The dinghy is looks like it's coming together fast and I have no doudts the gt will go just as fast, but remember it's not a race, one step at a time and yeah a bigger glassing box.

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

isn't 53 the new 40?
I bloody hope so :!: :) & thanks

Yeah Joe you are right, its not a race, besides cutting out all the bits for the hull I have been trying to organise my work space so that work will flow smoother. Because I am building this thing right way up (stitch&Glue) its going to be a pain climbing into the hull to lay glass seems, have to make sure the hull is well supported and I am going to use a glassing box (been looking at Devlins book) I hope this will make the taping easier and cleaner. Have never used one before so I guess it will take some practice.
Happy birthday for April

Richard

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Glassing "off the boat" is definitely the way to go whenever it is possible. You only need about 4 feet long because you can roll the tape up as you wet it out. This is also an easier way to apply the tape. Start the loose end and unroll with one hand while you smooth it out with the other. One thing to make sure before you start taping is to get rid of any nerds or bumps in the area you are going to tape or glass. Nothing worse than finding a lump under your wet tape. I dont even bother with a box any more, just a sheet of polyfilm on a piece of plywood. Fairly easy to control the epoxy, pour some on squeegee it here and there till all wet out, roll up and continue. I try to get all the excess off after it appears to be all wet out for a good poxy/glass ratio. Have fun.
Daddy

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Thanks Daddy thats great advice. Will ditch my glassing box and go with your system :)

Have you done multiple wet outs?, e.g. where you require 3 staggered layers (as required a lot for this build)
I read in Devlins book that his crew do it & was wondering how difficult it was to handle?

Will set up my bench so that I can run this process as easy as possible.
Thanks for the tip.
Richard