Playing nice in the sand box

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Playing nice in the sand box

Post by cape man »

Not to get preachy but I have noticed on several threads here that there has been an escalation in some of the discussion that has risen to the level of being down right uncivil. I joined here before I started building a boat, and one of the reasons was the extremely helpful, kind, and encouraging words I saw amongst the builders' threads, and stayed after my launch because I received the same throughout. Over the years I have seen on several threads where someone has expressed personal issues which have resulted in congratulations (e.g. new baby, new job, etc.) or offers to assist (e.g. family illness, needing something for the boat but can't afford it). This is a great group of people with similar desires, centered around a common theme - boats and being on the water.

In addition to now owning the nicest boat I have ever seen (okay...I'm biased! :D :D ), I also have met some folks which I hope remain life long friends. I stay around because I am still learning new things, and hope my personal experiences might help someone else. If I had seen some of the back and forth that has been going on these past few weeks I don't know if I would have chosen Bateau. It is more than the details of materials and equipment that makes this community attractive to me and I think a lot of other people. Sometimes it is better to keep something to yourself...

Okay, I feel better.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Daddy

Re: Playing nice in the sand box

Post by Daddy »

What he said...
Daddy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

thanks for that Capeman, I was just about to make a similar post and Im happy someone else beat me to it.

Good message boards die this way. The hostility will drive away the good new users and attract malcontents who get some sort of pleasure from being rude. Pretty soon every thread becomes a battle ground for those few people.

I will be going back to our more strict policy of editing, if it has nothing to do with the topic being discussed and does not add value for the users of the forum, it will be deleted.

Spring will see most of this go away :) In the mean time please everyone take a lesson from Rodney King

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHlopjHepEw

cape man

Post by cape man »

Wow...someone must be writing the same material for us! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was uploading a pic of him all beat up while you were posting Joel!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Well said Craig! I have found myself deleting several posts and should have deleted several others. I apologize to all for letting some people get my goat. It's not my normal personality.

Tom
Last edited by TomW on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

I'm with you 100%

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

:)

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Joel, you need to go down the hall and get right to the root of this thing. Burst through the door, stand tall, and make your voice heard;

"Jacques, the natives are restless! We must release a new set of plans!"

And Poof! All will be well.

E

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

I'll second Eric's request! How long has this been printed at the top of the plans page?
On the drafting table:

- TW 34 (50%)
- small 21 to 23' diesel P21 style
- 33' motorsailor in the style of Nauticat 33

It was there at least as far back as 2007 unchanged. :(

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Well said Craig, & it needed saying.