SB18 - Lady C.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Kereven
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SB18 - Lady C.

Post by Kereven »

Construction of Lady C. has started in Houston TX, a lift keel or centerboard version of the SB18.

Keel and centerboard are in progress, while I am waiting for the wood and fiber glass to arrive: http://sportboat18.blogspot.com/.

I look forward to having good fun building this boat.

Yves

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SB18 - Lady C.

Post by lncc63 »

Hi Yves. I tried to post a comment on your blog a few weeks ago but for some reason I couldn't. I'm glad you created a build thread here.

That's a nice looking bulb keel strut.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Congratulations! :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

About the keel lifting system: as you write, roof must be reinforced but I would add a removable strut (epontille mobile) from the top of the keel trunk to a roof beam.
That assumes that the trunk has been reinforced to take the compression.

PS: I translated because I believe you are in French Britanny, correct?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Kereven
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kereven »

jacquesmm wrote:About the keel lifting system: as you write, roof must be reinforced but I would add a removable strut (epontille mobile) from the top of the keel trunk to a roof beam.
That assumes that the trunk has been reinforced to take the compression.
I do not plan to change the keel lifting system any more. I agree about the need for re-inforcement with a strut and I wanted to keep the cabin access as clear as possible... The swap between keel and center board that I am planning will not happen in 5 minutes, but it keeps my mind quite to think that I will be able to go from one to the other and not having regrets later for not having chosen the right boat design option...
jacquesmm wrote: I believe you are in French Britanny, correct?
When I have the opportunity to take a few days off, we enjoy to stay in our place in Britanny. For the time bieng, after years of travel along the African coasts, we really appreciate living in Houston TX...!

Thanks for your support message, I should receive the wood soon and start the interesting part!

Kereven
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kereven »

Last week end was beautifull in South East Texas. I took my father and my son on the dinghy for a little sail. Soon, we will be able to take the rest of the familly on board Lady C. to enjoy those sailing moments.

Good progress on Lady C., in less than 3 hours, we had all the plywood cut, thanks to the pre-cut received lately. This saved a considerable amount of time in the construction project. Two shines are ready to be assembled, as well as the frames. Next week target will be to finish the shine scarfs and start the frame erection.

Kereven
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kereven »

Made some progress on Lady C. over the week-end. I still don't know how to post picture here, but you can see the progress here: http://sportboat18.blogspot.com/ :doh:

I have not been able to source an aluminum pipe 3" x 8ft with wall thicknes 0.125". Could any one let me know where to buy this spinnaker pole?

Thanks

Robert Olson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Olson »

I purchased the Aluminum tubing through " http://www.onlinemetals.com" . They will cut to length and ship it directly to you in a matter of a few days. I believe my total bill was approximately 100.00 dollars.
Hope this is helpful.

Best of luck,
Robert

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Did you try Ryerson for the aluminum?
3530 South Loop East
Houston, TX 77021
713-747-1110
800-392-4501
CC, D15, V10

Kereven
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kereven »

I ordered and received the aluminum pipe from metalsupermarkets.com for $96, tax and freight included.

This week-end, i completed the outside fileting and sanding and started the first band of fiber glass on the starboard lower shine. I also progressed on the centerboard.

As any one built the retractable rudder already? If so where did you get the gudgeons? The rudder and the 2 chicks will be around 60 mm, which is quite wide.

I also received the drawings for the mast from Z-Spar.

Making progress...