FX 20

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Tex 2009
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FX 20

Post by Tex 2009 »

Hello to all. I am new to this site and boat building. I have done repairs to my boat, which is a 20' El Pescador. I received my plans for the FX 20 and hope to get started soon. I like fishing the bays in Texas and the FX seems perfect. I think there are guys on this site close to Huntsville, TX, which is where I live. I would like to come by and see a project of yours if possible.
A couple questions:
1. with a sole is it a good idea to fill the void with foam
2. if filled with foam should there be a drain plug for this space
3. would it be beneficial to install strakes for manuvering
Thanks and I like the bateau website.
Good fishin to you. Doug Grall
Doug Grall
Huntsville, Texas

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FX 20

Post by Bowmovement »

Almost all people here will advice to use the foam in the sole. You don't not need any drain plugs there cause the compartments will be completely sealed.

Some will else will need to comment on the strakes

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Tex 2009
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tex 2009 »

Thanks Matt.
Doug Grall
Huntsville, Texas

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

Hello Doug. Nice to see another Texan on the site. Have you started a thread in the Builder's section. That would be a great place for these questions.

1)Yes on the foam in the sealed compartments. You never know when an old pier pylon or rock (Baffin) or oyster bed is going to jump up from our Texas bays and try to end your day on the water. The foam will make sure you get back home.

2) the idea of limber holes is a debatable question but I did not use them in my AS rebuild. If you get a hole in one of the foam filled compartments there is not much room for water and you need to open it up and fix it anyway.

3) You need to ask Jacques and/or Joel about the strakes.

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

Tex 2009
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tex 2009 »

Thanks MD, oyster reefs sure do have a habit of jumping out in Aransas and adjacent bays.
Doug Grall
Huntsville, Texas

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

Tex 2009 wrote:Thanks MD, oyster reefs sure do have a habit of jumping out in Aransas and adjacent bays.
Yup! I was pretty much raised on Copano Bay. I know what you mean.

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum