peel ply????

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
brandons
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

peel ply????

Post by brandons »

Hi,

What is this and how do I avoid it with my build? This will be my first boat and I would like it to go well.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pos=-29706

Thanks for your time.

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: peel ply????

Post by rjezuit »

Poor man's peel ply (plastic sheeting) not laid down without creases/folds. This creates high and low spots in the epoxy as it cures. This is not as bad as it looks. A little sanding will knock down the high spots and it gets faired anyway. I used 4 mil polyethylene sheet and pulled it tight and rolled it after application to minimize this type of thing when I did it. Rick

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: peel ply????

Post by MadRus »

Do you mean orange peel? That's a paint issue, usually caused by the paint being applied too thick. It dimples and they call that orange peel. Some paints are thick and go on thick, so they have a tendency to do this. I like the S3 because you can thin it, apply it very thinly and after about 20 coats, it's opaque and it doesn't do this. Just my opinion. Peel Ply is an excellent product and/or technique for getting even distribution of your epoxy, but if you use the real stuff, it can be expensive.