Hiawatha 12 (HC12)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
lagwagon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hiawatha 12 (HC12)

Post by lagwagon »

so ive been working on my first boat build the last couple of evenings and im really enjoying it. I decided to build the HC12 to get my feet wet since this is my first stitch and glue style build. I used to work at Boston Whaler building boats for a few years so im pretty familiar with all of the materials and methods. Ive started a gallery and im going to try and keep up with the thread as i progress. http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1181. Thanks for all of the info that all of you have posted on this forum, it has answered alot of questions for me! :D

RickW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Hiawatha 12 (HC12)

Post by RickW »

Grats! Looks great so far. I really like the lines of it.

I was thinking about building the HC way back then decided to build a kayak instead, then I was looking at the HC again, but am pretty much committed to the GF16. I'm interested in seeing how yours turns out, and seeing what you think of it when you get it on the water, as I still may build one or two of these later on.

Looks nice so far, keep the pics and updates coming!!!

lagwagon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lagwagon »

thanks!

lagwagon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lagwagon »

getting ready to take the stitches out and start glassing the inside seams.

lagwagon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lagwagon »

well all of the fillets and fiberglass have been applied to the interior of the canoe now. I decided to use a 3" roller to apply the epoxy and it seemed to work quite well untill i realized i only had one 3" roller. So i decided to cut down a 9" roller and made 3" rollers out of it for half the price of buying more 3". No problems yet but im going to go knock on wood now. I also added some more pics to the gallery. I tried to put a pic on this post but its saying that "it was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image", not too sure what thats about.

jaygee
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jaygee »

Your canoe is looking very well done. I will enjoy following this build.

jaygee

lagwagon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lagwagon »

So today i finished with glassing all of the seams on the outside of the hull. Even though i was mixing only 6oz. of resin at a time, the outside temp. was not working with me at all, so i had to really haul butt before it kicked off. Oh well, i got it done without any major problems....will post some more pics tonight. 8O

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Even though i was mixing only 6oz. of resin at a time, the outside temp. was not working with me at all
I know what you mean. I went out and bought a huge Sam's package full of 6 oz plastic cups, that have a perfect little line half-way up that measures 3 oz when I poured water into it. These are perfect for mixing 6oz batches. One cup is filled to the rim with resin and the other is filled to the middle line with hardener. I haven't made a bad batch since buying these cups :wink:

In the fall and winter you can get away with 12oz-16oz batches resin with a slow hardener, but I wouldn't even dream of trying that right now 8O

Now we need pictures :!: :D

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

lagwagon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lagwagon »

So i got anxious to see how she handled in the water so i decided to go give her a little water test last night before dark!!!

view from the bow/stern all glassed up

she's a beauty!!! :D

maiden voyage!!! its been quite a while since ive been in a canoe, haha :lol: