Hope2float's P-21 in Jackson

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Hope2float's P-21 in Jackson

Post by Hope2float »

It's been a while since I logged in, but always watching. I could not start on friday the 13th, so I pushed it to Saturday. As I promised the wife the additions to the house are complete and I received my CO. I now have the blessing form the boss to begin the boat. Friday the 13th! my grandmother would be turning in her grave if she was in one. Many old superstitions run long and deep in my family, not so much from my generation. So I thought it was best not to f#*% with them. Remember the Titanic. enough said.

I have started to cut lumber. One of my best friends Billy came over to get the game going. what a help it is to have an extra set of hands and even better, when there attached to a Brain. We were able to get the transom cut and all the rips for inside and outside stringers. My garage/shop is now put back together and I don't have to search for tools and supplys that were displaced in a trailer in front of my house.

I will post as many good pictures that I can. I tried to post pic but forgot the method.
ImageImage
Last edited by Hope2float on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Hope2float's P-21 in Jackson

Post by Larry B »

Looking forward to pictures of your progress
Completed: FL14, OD18

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

All right! That's about 3 milestones already - being approved, deciding on the design, and actually starting to cut wood! Everybody looks happy, but the shop doesn't look "lived in" yet!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

the shop doesn't look "lived in" yet!
The shop doesn't look big enough to build that boat in either :lol:

Welcome back too it H2F 8) Looking forward to watching it. Great start!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

Cracker Larry wrote:
the shop doesn't look "lived in" yet!
The shop doesn't look big enough to build that boat in either :lol:

Welcome back too it H2F 8) Looking forward to watching it. Great start!
This shop does. I think it is right OUTSIDE that other shop. :D

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Ok thanks for the poking about the shop. I know it's small , but it has been turned upside down for 7 years. I am just getting it back in working order. It is a one car garage and not able to have the boat built inside. I can do individual pieces. Assembly will have to occur outside.
I plan to have the hull outside completed before the winter and prepare the other pieces inside that insulated, heated and cooled one car garage shop. Here are some pictures of it. A little blurry from camera settings that I have not resolved yet.
This pic shows stringers ontop of plywood stack and HVAC for shop above dado blade holder upper right. Just wondering if you guys are hot yet HA Ha HA ? Just kidding no real hard feeling all in fun.
Shop has not been used much yet, but I will give it a workout. My other tools are kept on the jobsite in 7x14 cargo trailer. This is just what I won't take to a job. The floor is painted with Ben Moores industrial coating 2 part epoxy the color is yellow squash. It is the same as sawdust. I chose the white walls and light floor, because the eyes aren't as good as they used to be and bright helps out alot. I have 7 cabinet carcas kits under the drill press of which I will be using only two of them. I need to make 3 cabinet doors with plexiglass panels and the garage is 100% finished.
Today I will cut clamping boards.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

It may not be the largest shop around, but it is nice and organized and well equipped. :D Wish my shop was that clean :oops:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

That is a great and well organized shop. Very nice tools :!: I can tell you're going to build a really nice boat 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

NW Trout
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NW Trout »

Way too nice for me and too small for me. Although dig the idea of wheeled tool stands. Very good idea in tight shops.

Wife asked one time about doing the high tech garage floor coating. I thought for a brief instance and said "No way." I have a hard enough time keeping the nice parts of the house clean let alone a garage with tools, toys, bikes, boat, fishing gear, etc.

My garage has splotches of paint and epoxy on the bare concrete floor. And I like it that way.
-John
aka NW Trout

Seattle, WA

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Hey guys
For what its worth I am posting some pics of my table saw cross cut jig. It is the width of the top and as deep as well. 5/4 pine for the back and front on edge. Front section is 5/4x6" cut down on sides to create finger protection from blade. 5/4 must be high enough not to be cut in two with saw at max blade height . Front area must be square to the blade. Cut only half way through when making it. Use a 2' framing square to that line and set front stop. use hardwood rails in miter slots but not deep enough to bottom out. Pull foward and screw rails to the bottom, push back off rear and repeat. do this before setting stop for square. When finished cut through completely and enjoy. It may be a little stiff at first but will soon wear in. If you make your first one temporary it will be like mine 13 years.
Because it moves pencil tape can be left on table while operating it if careful
This is the front section with finger guard
This shows saw running with indexing line in front were the blade runs through just mark your wood set it on that line and cut.
This will allow easy safe and rapid cutting of stock or small panels.
If you guys don't find this usefull I will delete it. If you have any question I would be happy to help.
Next is the clamping boards cut with a router.
Changed nesting a bit to use 1 Sheet of plywood instead of two by going far right and then far left. the remianing sole pieces can be cut from one sheet later.
Last edited by Hope2float on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.