A Cracker Built FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

A Cracker Built FS18

Post by Cracker Larry »

Might as well get another one started, spring is coming :D I've decided to build an FS18 specifically for sight fishing in the skinny creeks and oyster flats of South Carolina. The OD18 is great, but she's a little too deep and almost impossible to pole. When you get her stuck it's a bear to push her off again, especially when the water is 45F and you can't get out of the boat to push :help:

I ordered the plywood last Thursday and picked it up yesterday. It arrived in perfect condition, no shipping damage, and it sure is pretty wood :D Nothing much better than a fresh stack of good mahogany plywood 8) Joel does a great job of packaging the pallet.

Sam is getting on his work clothes now!
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: A Cracker built FS18

Post by sitandfish »

This will be a closely watched build. Very popular boat (not just on this forum). Wishing you a warming trend in the weather. :wink:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thanks Mark. I've been fascinated by them since I saw the first one at Crystal River a couple of years ago.

Amen on the weather, dang it's been cold and windy! Was supposed to go offshore fishing for the extinct Black Sea Bass today, but got blown out, again :?
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Can't wait to see this one come together. It'll be interesting to see a Cracker built V-hull for a change :wink:

I'm sure Sam can't wait for another build :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Larry, are you going to build the round chine or the square chine version? Looking forward to watching this one come together. :D

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Probably the square chine version, I don't see any real advantages to the round, but I could be wrong about that. Would welcome any feedback from owners of both models.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Larry, hope you don't screw up and put one of those junk Yamaha motors on it :!: :lol:

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Ahhhh, I feel my C.L. build DTs going away. :lol: Is this going to be part of the Cracker Fleet, or still putting away a few bucks for the AB23?

Will

BTW it's good to see this thread starting off on the right foot. :lol:

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

WooHoo :!: Another CL build to follow. I would talk to Sam about the round or square chine. He may have some input.

Good Luck. I am sure you will build a nice boat.

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I would not bother with round chine personally, when poling with another person in the bow the chine is almost completely immersed. - my 2 cents