C19 New pics of console and foredeck

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomD

C19 New pics of console and foredeck

Post by TomD »

Ok guys - have a chance to do a little more to my C19. I want to stitch the panels tomorrow and wanted some advice/ approval before going ahead.

If I run a string from the transom (A) to the front mold (E), then B,C and D are about 10mm below the string.

I think that the transom (labelled A) is a little too high. I have not measured the transom from the baseline - but I know the other molds are all pretty close (within 3 mm or so). I think that if I lower the transom, then I could get the string to line up between A, B, C and D, but I think that the front mold E would be above this. In other words, if I ran a string from A to E (the front), even after lowering the transom, I would not get all the molds in line up.

Mold B, C and D seem to be about in line with each other, and by lowering the transom, all 4 of these molds would line up.
So.....

1) Is the front mold (E) meant to be so high, or have I made a mistake and should I lower it too?

2) I know you are meant to measure everything from the Base Line - but to prevent rocker, or hook (not sure which one is which) surely by ensuring the apex of all the molds are lined up, I will achieve this and get a fair hull? Will this not be easier than tweaking baseline measurements... or am I about to do something dumb?
Last edited by TomD on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 15 times in total.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Preventing rocker - lining up molds at keel of my C19

Post by steve292 »

Tom,
I would think that the first four molds at least need to be the same level, & would set the transom to acheive this. you may find this cures it all, or you may need to check E's dimensions. 10 mm is to much to be left as an alignment error IMHO.
looks good tho' 8)
Steve

TomD

Post by TomD »

Thanks Steve...

OK - I will start by dropping the transom, this is my first move; but are you saying that ideally all the molds should be the same level/height?

E is the one that is confusing me because I have re-measured the base line a bunch of times and it appears to be correct! Same with D,C and B. A, the transom is the only one I haven't measured the baseline for, so I can understand it needs tweaking - its just E that is confusing and am wondering if it is meant to be higher than the rest... confused!!!!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

TomD wrote:Thanks Steve...

OK - I will start by dropping the transom, this is my first move; but are you saying that ideally all the molds should be the same level/height?

E is the one that is confusing me because I have re-measured the base line a bunch of times and it appears to be correct! Same with D,C and B. A, the transom is the only one I haven't measured the baseline for, so I can understand it needs tweaking - its just E that is confusing and am wondering if it is meant to be higher than the rest... confused!!!!
transom will be either on the same level of first couple mold forward, or slightly lower. It not uncommon for the fair-body to slightly come up at the transom, it may be so slight you do not notice it. The bottom panels should never warp up at the transom. Something is definately not right.

TomD

Post by TomD »

I have re-measured all my Base line measurements for the molds and they are all within 1mm of the plans. I checked the transom measurement and lowered it to its base line according to the plans.

Now I can run a string from E to the transom and all the molds line up except D which is about 3-4 mm lower than the string (even though its base line measurement is correct). I guess it could just be that it isn't cut perfectly - should I raise this a tiny bit so it meets the string, or just get on with adding the side panels?

TomD

Post by TomD »

Could this be why my mold D (as per my photos - transom being A) be slightly lower than the others? Like I said I have double checked all measurements - http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... lds#p77452

Perhaps I am being a bit too fussy over this issue?

TomD

Post by TomD »

Here is how the molds line up with the transom lowered. Still a small gap at D - but measurement from baseline seems spot on. Thinking of just raising it slightly till its flush with the string and then forgetting about it? Any advise?

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

TomD wrote:Here is how the molds line up with the transom lowered. Still a small gap at D - but measurement from baseline seems spot on. Thinking of just raising it slightly till its flush with the string and then forgetting about it? Any advise?

Thats what I'd do to be honest. or you could just put the bottom panels on & see how fair you are. If you do that & have no hook or rocker you are good to go. You'll have to shave the frames anyway when you glass 'em in.
How big is that gap 1/8th ? if thats all it is, it's just the width of the saw blade :D
Steve

TomD

Post by TomD »

Sorry guys I have been away but ready to get back to work.

The gap is still about 7mm or so - its doing my head in because my measurements to baseline all seem perfect and even if they aren't I can't understand how I would be this far out! I guess all I really need to know is if all the molds are meant to be the same level on the jig or is mold E meant to be higher than D!? Are they all meant to be the same level - which would make sense to me but I haven't built a V-hull before so don't know!?

Perhaps I am missing something - I have rechecked the measurements 5 or 6 times (on different days just in case I am having a midweek Friday afternoon!)

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

I remember on my build that the Transom and then the next 3 bulkheads forward were in line but the forward bulkheads did rise up slightly. You often see a bow bulge like that even on production boats.
Also check to make sure your jig hasn't dropped in the centre, your bulkheads might be correctly lined up on the jig but your jig could be drooping from the extra weight - Just a thought