CC in a FS 18

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

CC in a FS 18

Post by AtTheBrink »

I know its a narrow boat and I know next to nothing about building boats... I want to build this boat with little CC with just enough room for a small steering wheel and controls. I want an ETEC 25 or 30 pushing it. Looking forward to the build, my first! I have been doing my research and I am almost ready to start!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: CC in a FS 18

Post by Prarie Dog »

Don't know about a CC on this boat. I think of it in terms of big canoe, with a square stern. If you want a wider version of this hull with a CC check out Joel Shines low sheer FS 17. You could build it with a CC and remote steering. Should pole real well.

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

AtTheBrink wrote:I know its a narrow boat and I know next to nothing about building boats... I want to build this boat with little CC with just enough room for a small steering wheel and controls. I want an ETEC 25 or 30 pushing it...
That company that makes the square end canoe now has a model that is rated for up to 40hp. I bet you could get some great ideas if you looked at a couple pictures of their boats that have center consoles. I think the two boats are within one inch in beam. At least it would be a good place to start.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

The big reason I would like the CC in this boat is I will be making fairly long runs (20-30 mile) and that would be.really tough on my bad back hanging on to a tiller for an hour long boat ride. I am going to try to put at least 12 gal of fuel and a small cooler like a yeti 45. This boat will be perfect for my stretch of the Texas coast and for our trips to the Everglades. I have seen pictures of this boat with a baitwell and seat in the center of the boat I think a console would fit. I just need room for a wheel and controls.
Mike

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Sure, it could be done. Here's a link to one with a small center console. He still has a tiller steer, but has a bait well and seat with tank underneath. You could just make the back part a bit larger to accomodate the steering and use basically the same design he used.

http://www.bateau.com/boats/FS18/slides ... ike_3.html
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Randy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Randy »

Something similar to what they have on the small Mavericks.
http://www.maverickboats.com/boat-specs ... 3141677368

Extend the rear deck and make fold up seat like Hewes:
http://www.hewes.com/boat-specs.php?ID=90

Should be a fun build
Randy

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

George: yep! That is kind of the idea. But more like the simple box console in the Maverick link that Randy posted. Randy you are close enough to come fish! I wAnt the smallest I can get away with. I know weight is a huge issue for these micro-skiffs so smaller is better. I am shooting for 4"... Is it doable? Or am I dreaming?
Mike

Randy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Randy »

You only need enough room in the console to accommodate the steering mechanism and your engine control, so a side consle may even be better. That way you can run all the cables and linkage above the floor, under the gunnel and decking.

Like this one from Hell's Bay:
http://www.hellsbayboatworks.com/index. ... erman-feat

Yes I am close enough to come fishing, just got back from Rockport. Caught a few reds out of the Kayaks in the "lighthouse lakes" area between Aransas Pass and Port A.

I have built a GF18 and am currently working on a "low Sheer" OD18. My GF would float in 3" of water, but without a tunnel would not run that shallow.

4 inches is within reach.
Randy

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

The only problem I see is that the Maverick, Hewes and Hells Bay referenced to above are over 6 feet wide. The FS 18 is 4'6" at its widest point. Could be pretty cramped with a console.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

The OB15 is only 5'6" wide and it works a side console pretty nice (I know, that's still a foot wider, but..)

Something tiny and simple like this may work as an option if you wanted:

Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)