About ready to order. How much will I need? OB19

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

About ready to order. How much will I need? OB19

Post by Steven »

I'm about ready to order the paint. I need to determine how much I'll need for the outside, and how much for the inside.

The outside areas to be painted are the sides, transom, motorwell and a small triangle of the bottom of maybe 6 sq. ft.

The inside areas will be the sides, motor well bulkhead, front deck bulk head, CC and LeaningPost/LIve well and the 4" wide coaming.

Everyone wonders at how far Sterling goes, but I have no frame of reference for how much I'll need. Any thoughts?

Cracker Larry

Re: About ready to order. How much will I need? OB19

Post by Cracker Larry »

Steven, it took less than 1/2 gallon to do the outside of my OD18 with 4 coats. It really goes a long ways!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I will be putting the last sterling on the inside of the seacraft today. I have used less than 1/2 gallon of catalyst so far. So that mean less than one gallon of paint for the entire boat. That's two coats on the outside an bracket, 2 coats inside sides, cap (all of it) and the leaning post and console. The outside could maybe use another coat (I can see a few places) but that would take less than 9 oz of mixed paint (6 oz paint/3oz. catalyst).

If your doing the boat in all the same color, its easy, just buy a gallon. You will have left over, but its cheaper than buying quarts.

The first time you use it you will waste some paint by mixing too much.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Thanks guys. Think I'll stick with one color so I can save on the gallon. Matterhorn White. If I want to add some color, I could always add some to the side Panels later on. Plus, it sounds like a gallon will give me enough to add an extra coat or two for buffing out if the dust drives me too it. So I'll need a 1/2 gallon of catalyst. How much brushing reducer?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Steven wrote:Thanks guys. Think I'll stick with one color so I can save on the gallon. Matterhorn White. If I want to add some color, I could always add some to the side Panels later on. Plus, it sounds like a gallon will give me enough to add an extra coat or two for buffing out if the dust drives me too it. So I'll need a 1/2 gallon of catalyst. How much brushing reducer?
1 quart is fine for the reducer. this time of your I would get some accelerator too. It helps the paint skim over in 30 minutes.

BTW, I used MEK to clean my brushes this time instead of using reducer. Wow, what a difference. I used only 2 brushes on the whole boat, and that is because I wanted to use a 3" and a 2", could have used only one brush. I try to avoid MEK because it pretty rough stuff, but MEK is the way to go for cleaning the brush :!: Actually is was "MEK replacement" sold at the home depot, so maybe the new stuff is not as bad as the real deal - Im still careful with it though.

Steven

Post by Steven »

So i'm looking at the following?

Mattr' wht. 230.00 1 Gallon
U2964 205.65 1/2 gallon
U2965 39.00 1 qt.

I didn't see the accelerator. I can heat the shop to a comfortable 70. Still need the accelerator? I like the idea of the quick skim over. Will it skim over as quickly at 70 without the accellerator? Would help with dust. I am concerned about getting around the boat quick enough so that it flows out when I reach my starting point. I was thinking about starting in the midle of the Transom, so if it doesn't flow together well, it would be mostly hidden by the motor. Thoughts?

What rollers do you use? The last batch of foam rollers from here did not roll well. Just plowed the primer around. I ended up using some from HD and just changed out as they started to degrade. No issue for primer, but can't do that for top coat. I have some of the west brand yellow foam rollers for epoxy use.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I also use MEK for cleaning the brushes, nothing else will touch that paint except for their $$ a quart reducer :help:

I would use a little accelerator at 70 degrees. The faster you can get it to skim over, the less time there is for bugs and dust to stick to it. It doesn't take much, just a cap full or less, and it's a little cap.

I use west system foam rollers and cut them in half and put them on a 4" frame. The full size ones put on too much paint. You want to apply it very thin. And yeah, they will start falling apart pretty quick, ditch it and keep going. It's powerful paint, don't put it in a plastic keg cup, and wear a good respirator.

Go here for a complete application guide. It's real important to follow the instructions http://www.detcomarine.com/sltopcoat.htm
There are no instructions on the cans :doh:
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Someone is not happy about being banned from here. Here is the translation from the Russian post above mine:
Why did you lie to me! Write themselves and I can not say even comment! Why not place my answers!
This is not a blog forums.bateau2.com EU response even if I can not write!
Of course it was probably written in english the translated into russian and then translated back so it's gonna be off a bit, but you get the general idea of what was meant :!: :lol:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

8O 8O That man is a stalker with a serious problem. Even in Russian :doh:

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.