Respiratory selection

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Respiratory selection

Post by Steven »

I have a 3m respirator with dust cartirdges. I used it for painting the GV11 with Brightsides using the appropriate cartridges. Worked well. I want to purchase a new one for painting the OB19. I'm using Interlux Perfection, which I know is more toxic than the Brightsides. Is there a particular rating I should be looking for?

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Respiratory selection

Post by Prarie Dog »

Good question Steven, I was looking at them at Home Depot tonight and couldn't figure out what to buy because of the paint. I hear Sterling is some toxic stuff. Can't wait for this answer. :)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

If it contains Isocyanates then anything short of a supplied air respirator is mostly false comfort. This is based on the stuff we were taught at WyoTech when dealing with automotive paints.

I still spray some with a particulate mask (cartridge type like you have) and know many paint techs who do the same, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea :!:

Do you have a MSDS sheet on the paint you are using?
Last edited by gstanfield on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

I'll offer you these tips based on years of experience and exposure. If you want to be perfectly safe, have someone else paint it for you. You can reduce your risk by providing some filtered positive airflow to the painting area. Always wear a suitable paint suit with a hood ( use masking tape to control the bagginess so the suit doesn't get in the paint) . Always wear painters gloves. Always use a dual cartridge respirator that is rated for organic vapors with n95 pre-filters. 3M or Gerson are very dependable brands. Put the respirator in a sealed bag after every use and discard after 40 hrs or 30 days. Make sure the respirator is properly sized and fitted and have no facial hair that would interfere with a tight seal. Please go to a body shop supply store to get these supplies because automotive paints are very similar to marine paint. Get your nails and screws at the big box store and get the painting supplies at a paint supply store :!: :!: :!: :!:

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

I don't know if this helps, but if you have a mask on and can still smell the fumes, it's not good enough.

remedy32

Post by remedy32 »

Don't know if any of us asked "are you brushing or spraying"? If brushing you are MUCH less exposed to the harmful side of 2 part urethanes since there's no cloud of finely atomized particles. You will be exposed to solvent flashing off but to very little of the more dangerous isocyanates. Wear an organic vapor respirator and follow the comments about bagging it when not in use and disposal of cartridges after 40 ( I like 20 better) hours OR as soon as you smell solvent. It's unfortunate but there is no smell indication for the CA hazard; that's why the timed disposal is important. If you work outdoors the concentrations of vapor goes way down.

If you choose to spray you really do need to protect yourself. I've done spray my work on calm days outdoors; wearing gloves, coverall, hat, goggles, and respirator with fresh cartridges. Normal work time in proximity of the hull is about 15 minutes per coat; so perhaps 45 minutes total. For a while 3M was making recommendations of the organic vapor cartridges for CA exposure as long as cartridges were changed very regularly based on time. Don't know if that is still their part of their system though. If this were something I did daily I would surely insist on a supplied air system.

Stay safe.

bill
CT USA

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Bill, I think he said in his build thread that he is spraying or at least that's what I seem to remember 8)

Steven

Post by Steven »

Brushing. Bought proper cartridge at auto supply store. Thanks for the help.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

my bad, I musta got your build confused with someone elses :oops: