Nesting D5

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
john1
New Poster
New Poster

Nesting D5

Post by john1 »

Here is the nesting D5 i built as a tender for my 26 ft trailer yacht.
I did a double bulkhead at the bow side of the centre thwart. i made 2 identical bulkheads and temporarily fixed them together with softwood spacer strips that were the thickness of my favourite handsaw. I also drilled the holes for the joining bolts. I then made the boat as per instructions except that i epoxied inside seams first and then cut the boat in half.
i then did the outside seams.
Actually i made bottom and sides from 4 mm ply as i wanted lightweight, then added single layer of 200 gm/m2 cloth over the bottom and 50 mm up the sides for strength and abrasion resistance.

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Nesting D5

Post by sds »

Looks good john. The front end seems to nest just right in the back half with the seat removed, and quite smaller than the FB11. Granted, FB11 is a bigger boat when assembled.

I think alot of people will be interested in this D5 modification.

Good going!

tlscott
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Nesting D5

Post by tlscott »

Just started building a D5 myself with the intention of Nesting it. Is your midship seat/frames in the stock location or did you move them to make room for the nesting bow section?