GF14 upgrade with console

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

GF14 upgrade with console

Post by deuce_454 »

I completed a GF 14 a few years back, the panels including the botttom was 1/4 inch as specified in the plans (3/8 inch ply for bottom was optional but i opted fro 1/4 for weight reasons...) the floppy bottom and nose up attitude under power have annoued me ever since so this spring i built a console for a teleflex steering, bought a tohatsu 18 horse 4 stroke to replace the honda 10 hp. and laminated a layer of 10 mm divinycell on the inside of the bottom...

this has changed the boat from a large usefull but a bit clumpsy boat to a nimble and very very versatile boat... the steering still allows rowing the boat, it starts with a twist of a key and it planes at 26 mph without any real flopping of the bottom panels....

im sure prop choice and finetrimming will net a few extra mph (as will a light weight driver :D )

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GF14 upgrade with console

Post by deuce_454 »

and here is a few pics of the finished evolution of the jon boat now named the green flash (its painted out and in with a epifanes PU paint in opal green)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Sweet :!:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

I like the forward controls, looks wicked on the water 8)
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

Seadation
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Seadation »

That looks great!

Do you have any idea as to cost of steering with "wheel" vs stick steering? What I mean is, do you know if your what is appreciably more than the kit for stick steering? I realize a console is required but that would be fun to build.

Thanks,

/david

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Duece, that looks real cool. We're building a GF12+T+S right now that we put stringers in and a sole so we could get rid of the middle seat. I hadn't thought of building a steering station like yours, very creative, not to mention, cool looking. 8) We're using a minature center console.

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

hmm i guess the only extra cost was the steering kit, i ordered a teleflex kit from ebay with a 13 foot cable, steering wheel and a steering arm for about 200USD all included, the motor control box with gear was bought with the engine, as was the fuel tank.. so the complete extra cost for me was about 280 USD, including a new 65 amp marine battery..

the console was constructed from left over 1/4 inch plywood for the sides and 1/2 inch for the "top" where the steering box gets mounted.. all in all it took 3 days including reinforcing the bottom (that i made from 1/4 inch to begin with and laminating the box.. AND sanding and painting the boat inside and out)

it makes a world of difference to the boat that feels like its come to its right

i can only recomend it to anyome building a GF14... it even feels like it could handle alittle more power :D

I took some pics of the box pre-epoxy with measurements in centimeteres.. feel free to copy :D

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Nice job on that console!

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Neat idea......just curious, did you try a hydrofoil when using the tiller? I have a little bit of a bouncy bow when running solo in my gf at full throttle with the motor all the way down. It doesn't bother me that much....in fact not enough to try and move weight forward but have been considering getting one!

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

never tried a hydrofoil, just a tiller extension that did the job perfectly, so when the honda died and it was time to shop for another engine and i found the nissan/tohatsu 18 horse 4 stroke with remote and electric start.. so the forward steering conversion seemed logical...

(the honda was only a 10 horse by the way so it never really got on a plane with the weight all the way back... )