Who has Registered Their Custom Built Boat in Florida?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Seadation
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Who has Registered Their Custom Built Boat in Florida?

Post by Seadation »

Hello,

I plan to register my FS14 in Florida as that will be it's primary place of use. I was told that the process of getting the boat registered involves me presenting my receipts for materials, etc. That makes me wonder WHY they need to see receipts...AND, maybe that is because they want to make sure SALES TAX has been paid on the materials?? Maybe I"m paranoid.

My question for those who have registered their boat/s in florida, did you have to pay sales tax on the materials that you ordered from out of state and DID NOT pay sales tax? What was the reason for the tax collector/tag office needing to see the receipts? Where there other costs to register your boat beyond the usual fees according to the boat's length, etc?

Thanks!

/david

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Who has Registered Their Custom Built Boat in Florida?

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yes, it is most definitely to make sure that sales taxes have been paid. I see your location is Georgia, they have never asked me for sales receipts to register a homebuilt in Georgia, but some states will take you to the cleaners. I'd register it in Georgia if you have a residence :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

I registered an fs 14 that I built in florida. The sales reciepts are so they can see that you paid tax on the materials. There is a form that also needs to be filled out. They did not really look at all the reciepts. Just make sure you have a bunch of them photo copied. It's not like they are going to see if you are missing a few for primer or whatever. A bunch of them should be fine. I had all the paper work I needed ready before hand and they were actually suprised that I had it all ready when I did mine and gave me zero problems. I don't think it matters what state the reciepts came from as long as you have them. They actually just glanced at them and didn't really go through them at all. I did build the boat and bought all the material so no big deal really...... I hope this helps you. Just show up ready with all paperwork and a bunch of reciepts and you should be fine.

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

Edit :D

Michaelz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Michaelz »

Started to register a new CK17 in Nassau County two months back and got the demand for receipts too, so I registered it in Georgia. Incidentally, a 3 year registration in Georgia costs the same as a 1 year registration in Florida.

Three years ago I registered a OT16 in Florida that I had built in Atlanta. Told the Nassau county tax commissioner's office that I built it in 2007 and no longer had materials receipts as a 16' rowboat does not require registration in Georgia unless you decide to hang a motor on it. Planned to use a motor in Florida so I was registering it. They accepted that explanation without challenge. When the first year of Florida registration ran out, I moved the OT16 to Georgia registration. I guess it's all legal for me as I have homes in Georgia and Florida.

designlady
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by designlady »

We just registered our boat in Fl. The process we went through was no big deal-call Div of fish and Wildlife to schedule appt-guy comes out simply to make sure it really is a self built boat-not something you hauled out of a canal and fixed up! Our boat is ready to have the inside painted and he said it had nothing to do with the structure of the boat-actually said after it's in the water-it's your deal. The registration #'s always remain on your boat-not transferable anywhere else. We filled out a very simple form, he photo copied 2 receipts-can't build a boat without plywood, but he didn't give a hoot about sales tax-just that you actually built the boat. He signed the paper, then went to local tag office for registration tag. Was all very simple-he actually came the same day I called. Simple! Linda

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

designlady wrote:We just registered our boat in Fl. The process we went through was no big deal-call Div of fish and Wildlife to schedule appt-guy comes out simply to make sure it really is a self built boat-not something you hauled out of a canal and fixed up! Our boat is ready to have the inside painted and he said it had nothing to do with the structure of the boat-actually said after it's in the water-it's your deal. The registration #'s always remain on your boat-not transferable anywhere else. We filled out a very simple form, he photo copied 2 receipts-can't build a boat without plywood, but he didn't give a hoot about sales tax-just that you actually built the boat. He signed the paper, then went to local tag office for registration tag. Was all very simple-he actually came the same day I called. Simple! Linda

Just FYI - under 16' in Florida does NOT require an inspection. The law states that the tax office MAY (under statute) choose to look at it, but they CANNOT require an FWC inspection. These are very different. All that the people at the tax office can do is check to see if it exists and is "home built," not refuse to register it because it's not seaworthy. If you have an under-16' boat, make sure that you look up and print out the appropriate Florida statute and bring it in. I guarantee (been through it) that the office will not be familiar with the statute, but it will save you a lot of trouble. On the FS17 you needed the full FWC inspection because it's over 16'.

The summary from FLHSMV describes the difference at http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/FFFVO.pdf

An initial application for the title and registration of a
homemade vessel must be filed by the vessel owner with
the county tax collector office. In making application
for an initial Florida title, the owner of a homemade
vessel less than 16 feet in length shall submit to the
county tax collector Form HSMV 82040, along with Form
HSMV 87002 and a $5.25 titling fee. Upon receipt of the
application, the Department may elect to conduct a visual
inspection of the vessel to insure that it meets the legal
definition of a homemade vessel. The owner of a
homemade vessel 16 feet or more in length shall be
required to contact the nearest district office of the Fish
and Wildlife Conservation Commission to arrange for a
physical inspection of the vessel. At the time of
inspection, the owner of the homemade vessel shall be
required to submit an executed Form HSMV 87002 or
Builder’s Certificate to the inspecting officer. Upon
satisfactory completion of the inspection, the inspecting
officer shall provide the owner of the homemade vessel
with an executed Certificate of Inspection, FWC/DLE-
126, which must be submitted to the county tax collector
along with Form HSMV 82040, Form HSMV 87002 or
Builder’s Certificate and $5.25 titling fee. (Note: In
addition, a registration fee based on the length of the
vessel and any applicable sales tax must be paid.) The
website for the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
is http://www.myfwc.com.

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

All of the above if it is over 16 feet. Had game officer come by for inspection. Said this was due to the number of boats stolen in FL. Needed to know it really is homemade. Talked to tag office ladies before I started building. They said I needed all receipts. I literally took them in with info from wildlife officer. They had never had anyone bring in all receipts(won't due that again). All they really needed was some of the receipts for plywood, paint, epoxy, trailer(if buying one), etc. Don't give them out of state receipts(usually no tax on those items unless you turn them in). They don't need them unless you want to pay tax. Over all very simple. Good luck. John

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

Count your blessings if it was easy. Last one I did in st. Pete, the nice lady DEMANDED a coastguard inspection on a 12' boat. I told her I wasn't up for being laughed at by the coasties that day and that I also didn't need a FWC inspection. I had to print out the actual statutory description of what they could/couldn't require, because she wouldn't even accept the document I linked above. Since the original post was about a 14' boat, I just wanted to keep anyone from doing more than necessary.

Seadation
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Seadation »

The ladies in the Franklin County (FL) TAX COLLECTORS' office told me I would need to bring my receipts to get the boat registered. Since I live in GA and had all the materials sent there, most of my receipts don't show sales tax. What I was told that day plus what others here experienced led me to believe the registration process was mostly about the county getting their tax$.
As someone else observed, registration in GA is CHEAP by comparison; $15 for 3 years for boats < 16 feet. That is a fraction of what FL charges.
Unlike FL, in GA I DID have to get my 14' boat inspected by a Wildlife Enforcement Officer to assign the boat a HIN. That was no big deal.

FAir winds,

/david